Do NOT Update to Basecamp 4.7.0

Phoenix
Crew
Crew

On behalf of [mention]JockJKU[/mention],

Do NOT Update to Basecamp 4.7.0 – MapInstall 4.2.0 is broken!
MapInstall 4.2.0 is broken. You will get it by updating to Basecamp 4.7.0 - however also individual update can happen. So it's possible to be on Basecamp 4.6.2 but have MapInstall 4.2.0 (can update via other Garmin tools too).

Garmin released a new version of Basecamp - 4.7.0 - in order to remove many features that were not in accordance with the GDPR regulation. Actually it's not that 4.6.2 is wrong here - it's that there were a few web services - that Garmin switched off - and those were interlinked into 4.6.2 - so that actually in 4.6.2 some functionality is not working anymore - I could on a quick check however not discover any actual difference otherwise in relation to the GDPR regulations - so 4.6.2 is no different in this regard to 4.7.0 - well and new privacy page/EULA of course).

The big problem is that Basecamp 4.7.0 also ships an updated version of Garmin MapInstall - and that version is broken in so far that it does not reliably/correctly send any maps in .img format anymore! This also applies to original older garmin maps.

On Windows instead of the actual map - only the overview map is sent - so you will have a nearly "empty" map. On OSx the problem with MapInstall 4.2.0 is that it will often crash while sending maps.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

[mention]JockJKU[/mention] :
I updated, now everytime i attach the GPS and it sarts to transfer info Basecamp closes.

Just downgraded to previous version and all working fine. I had it on Mac so it had the crashing issue. BEWARE!

[mention]Booy[/mention] :
I upgraded to 4.7 - not sure when. Seems I cannot view the basecamp area in google earth anymore. I’m on Mac too

at least yours opens! Mine crashed everytime. I backed up all my maps and tracks to HDD and then uninstalled basecamp. Then went here to download the previous version and re-install. http://www.gawisp.com/perry/macintosh/b ... ac_463.dmg

👍🏻 and can you view on google earth with the old version?

View selected data in google earth.... is an option
so is "view current map area in google earth"

Nice one. Then i’m also going back. Just read that officially on 4.7 the link to GE has been removed
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

With me it's working OK, since March 2018 and the maps are showing properly City Navigator Europe NTU 201902.