Monatana 650: SD card

Post Reply
User avatar
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Hey Guys,

Apologies if the question has been answered before. I am downloading bird's eye files and running out of internal memory. So I installed micro SD card. And transferred all Birds eye files into it. But when I switch on the GPS, it doesn't show on the maps. But I can see them in the BaseCamp, under external memory.

Can somebody help me to set up this.

Thank you.

R.B
R.B
User avatar
Booy
Marshal
Marshal
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:55 pm
Location: RAK
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Hi [MENTION=10036]Red Baron[/MENTION] ,

I run mine off an SD Card and it works well. It might have something to do with the directories.

I will check how mine is set up and let you know.

Regards,
Booy
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
User avatar
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Booy;45621 wrote:Hi @Red Baron ,

I run mine off an SD Card and it works well. It might have something to do with the directories.

I will check how mine is set up and let you know.

Regards,
Booy
Thanks [MENTION=10413]Booy[/MENTION], mine is 64GB card. Please let me know.

Thanks
R.B
User avatar
Booy
Marshal
Marshal
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:55 pm
Location: RAK
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 15 times

The size of the sd card could be the problem. I read somewhere on a forum that these montanas can only read up to 32gb cards. I wanted to get a 64gb card too, but after reading that, I opted for a 32gb.

As far as the directories and folders are concerned, I copied mine to the card with no folders or subfolders.
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Contact:

The size of the SD card is not critical. Birds Eye files should be sitting on SD card in a folder Garmin>BirdsEye.
User avatar
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm

caprihorse;45625 wrote:The size of the SD card is not critical. Birds Eye files should be sitting on SD card in a folder Garmin>BirdsEye.
Booy;45623 wrote:The size of the sd card could be the problem. I read somewhere on a forum that these montanas can only read up to 32gb cards. I wanted to get a 64gb card too, but after reading that, I opted for a 32gb.

As far as the directories and folders are concerned, I copied mine to the card with no folders or subfolders.
[MENTION=955]caprihorse[/MENTION] , yes capacity is not critical. I have actually found the solution. SD card I bought, was not formatted in was not in FAT32. Garmin needs FAT32 format in order for the device to read off it. when a card is more than 32 GB it says it is exFAT, so I formatted it to FAT32. No problem after that.

Tricky part was to format it in windows 7, as windows 7 will not let you do it in a simple way. I am no computer genius, so I seek help from Google and did it.

Please check below links,

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com ... w/54809176

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm


Thanks [MENTION=10413]Booy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=955]caprihorse[/MENTION] , guess the case is closed.

R.B
R.B
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Contact:

Red Baron;45627 wrote:@caprihorse , yes capacity is not critical. I have actually found the solution. SD card I bought, was not formatted in was not in FAT32. Garmin needs FAT32 format in order for the device to read off it. when a card is more than 32 GB it says it is exFAT, so I formatted it to FAT32. No problem after that.

Tricky part was to format it in windows 7, as windows 7 will not let you do it in a simple way. I am no computer genius, so I seek help from Google and did it.

Please check below links,

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com ... w/54809176

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm


Thanks @Booy and @caprihorse , guess the case is closed.

R.B
I'm happy that you did find the answer. In general, SD cards coming from the shop should be formatted for any device before use as FAT32, if it is Garmin, phone or camera.
User avatar
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm

caprihorse;45628 wrote:I'm happy that you did find the answer. In general, SD cards coming from the shop should be formatted for any device before use as FAT32, if it is Garmin, phone or camera.
Yes, I would expect that also, when I searched around got to know that, external storage devices more than 4GB comes as exFAT. mine was 64GB card, maybe that was the case. Glad I could sort it out.
R.B
Post Reply