Garmin Montana 600 Series Tips & Tricks

Post Reply
Paul
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dubai

Hi guys

Windshield defrost, with a/c on will blow cold air onto the window and gps.....Should help keeping its temp down.

Cycling li-ion batteries is NOT necessary. It is a throw over from the old Ni-Cd era.


Regards
paul
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

pwood;12696 wrote:Hi guys

Windshield defrost, with a/c on will blow cold air onto the window and gps.....Should help keeping its temp down.

Cycling li-ion batteries is NOT necessary. It is a throw over from the old Ni-Cd era.


Regards
paul
Paul, this event has nothing to do with Li-on or Ni-Mh type of batteries, but with old relict of Garmin software, as they don't have in any unit installed voltage battery IC measurement and they are checking the battery life based on time only. Garmin is writing in troubleshooting section:
"My Battery charge is not accurate: Discharge and fully charge again"

This was the case also with my GPS276C battery, as it was showing discharged, but actually it was full (measured by voltmeter) ... Discharging and charging brought the correct percentage. Btw on 276C discharge took me more over then 10 hours...

So when you are suspicious, that battery charging percentage is not showing properly, make discharge and charge cycle, before you throw away your battery.

In normal life Li-On batteries don't need discharge cycles, but on Garmin equipment, yes ...
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

I don't have any issue with charging the unit in car, because my Garmin mount is not on wind shield but on the left side near the steering and below the A/C vent heheheh.
Paul
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dubai

Hi Capri

OK. Got it.

Thanks
Paul
Darshan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:51 am

Duck Commander;12698 wrote:I don't have any issue with charging the unit in car, because my Garmin mount is not on wind shield but on the left side near the steering and below the A/C vent heheheh.
Ditto..that is where i have mine on now. No charging issues so far. The only gripe is that the unit keeps falling down because the suction mount apparently stops "sucking" when there is too much heat.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Darshan;12709 wrote:Ditto..that is where i have mine on now. No charging issues so far. The only gripe is that the unit keeps falling down because the suction mount apparently stops "sucking" when there is too much heat.
I never have any issue with the suction mount, and my unit never fall even when my car falls during off roading:)))))-
mine is fixed on the silver smooth part below vent, better to clean it with petrol prior to fixing the unit in case there is any polish on that area.
FSL
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Darshan;12709 wrote:The only gripe is that the unit keeps falling down because the suction mount apparently stops "sucking" when there is too much heat.
I've the same issue but only when the temp is really high and my car sits in the sun all day. But then it happens once in 2-3 weeks.
I try to stick it with atleast 3-4 water drops sitting on the cup...
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:01 am

Duck Commander;12710 wrote:I never have any issue with the suction mount, and my unit never fall even when my car falls during off roading:)))))-
mine is fixed on the silver smooth part below vent, better to clean it with petrol prior to fixing the unit in case there is any polish on that area.
LOL...i think I know where u got this idea from Shafiq !
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Wasif Ahmed;12712 wrote:LOL...i think I know where u got this idea from Shafiq !
Where:)))))-
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:01 am

Duck Commander;12714 wrote:Where:)))))-
LOL>...you know where ....from the Greyhound ! I've always had mine mounted there
Post Reply