Garmin Montana 600 - How to set your Course (CDI)

strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have had this GPS for a month now and i have been tinkering with it like crazy ...... i would say it is very simple and easy to use but it takes a great deal of attention to small details for you to get the proper settings right

I would like to share the steps on how to get that thin pink line attached to your vehicle in the map follow you even though you veer away from your waypoint .....

1. Go to Set Up
2. Click on Routing
3. Settings should be as follows:

Activity = Direct ROuting
Route Transitions = Distance
Unit of Measure = Kilometers
Enter Radius should be 00000.0
Lock on Road = NO

4. Go back to Set Up
5. Click on Heading
6. Settings should be as follows:

Display = Directional Letters
North Reference = True
Go To Line/Pointer = Course (CDI)
Compass = Auto

Have all these things set up and when you start to navigate .... you will be able to see the pink line follow you and at the same time it will be locked on to your destination even if you go drive away from the assigned course.

Hope this helps

thanks
Darshan

Thanks strawb. Note that there are a lot of easier ways to acheive the same objective. The way i have set it up is via profiles and i have moved the profile change icon to the main screen. So when i am offroad i just choose a profile (which i have named "offroad") This automatically changes the routing to direct routing and also switches on the track recording.

This device is like linux (that is a bit of exaggeration) it can be customized to no ends if you are a bit savy with gadgets.

Also note that there are beta versions of firmware for it which adds a whole lot of new functionality.
walihali

Thanks Strawb and Darshan. Hopefully, both procedures are working for Montana 650 as well.
Darshan

walihali;11697 wrote:Thanks Strawb and Darshan. Hopefully, both procedures are working for Montana 650 as well.
Yes indeed. I own a 650 with the 2013 maps on it.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

walihali;11697 wrote:Thanks Strawb and Darshan. Hopefully, both procedures are working for Montana 650 as well.
The only difference between 600 and 650 is camera...
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

A very useful thread for MONTANA's owners.
Please keep it updated and let us share our experiences and knowledge regarding this Awesome navigator.

@Darshan you are very good at the electronic stuff so please update and keep alive this thread and MONTANA:011:
fida
Advance
Advance

Yes please.. I need to know more information about this. it will be great if someone could post a detailed article about this wonderful device. Thanks
Aemi
Intermediate
Intermediate

@ Darshan; pl.elaborate the easy way to achieve the same objective.
A needful thread .pl. keep it alive.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

As Darshan said I did the same now and made customized profiles for ON and OFF roads, and placed it on the main Menu.

Advantage is you dont need to change the route sittings or recording routes as every profile you are making you cant customize it with specific sitting as per your requirements.

Go to
>setup>scroll down> Profile> create new profile( name it)
Go Back> shotcuts>locate the file you wanna display on Menu (Main or Drawer)
Change the sitting of your profile if you need to put on recording track/ Direct what ever you wanna do:)))

In future just click on the specific profile and go no need to change any thing at all because all the required changes you have already did to the specific profiles

PS: Please keep updating this thread :011:
Darshan

Basically you can set it up in different ways.

Drag and drop the profile change button from the drawer to the main screen.
Go into profiles and change the routing activity to direct routing for one of the profiles
When you are offroad, just use the profile change button to choose the direct routing profile and that is it!

Another way/Simpler to do it is within automotive profile, change the route activity to "prompted" So whenever you choose a waypoint as your destination it will ask you whether you need direct routing...if you are in the desert just choose direct routing and you will have the pink line in between you and the target.

I choose the profile method coz this automatically turns on a lot of other settings like track recording if you want it to.

Also try to play with the shortcuts menu, once you get the hang of it, it will help you access frequently accessed settings with just one "Tap"

The available features in montana is becoming bigger with every new release of the firmware and the beta versions seems to be pretty stable. Some of us already have the 2013 maps on the montana with firmware 4.04 (beta)

I even have proximity sensors setup with a database so that it warns me when i am near certain things. (I leave it you to guess what those things are) :038: