How to get Garmin MapSource if you don't have it

Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Sat May 12, 2012 3:31 pm

I bought a refurbished Nuvi255w from the US, and it had the North American Maps installed and that is useless here, but in order to install Middle East Maps, I needed MapSource or another program so I found a neat trick to get MapSource from Garmin without having to buy the CD, or download it from a shady site.. With this you get MapSource from Garmin themselves..

First, download Training Center, Ver. 3.6.5, from the Garmin site on this link (size 42.78MB) and INSTALL IT (usually c:\program files\Garmin)
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=835

Then download MapSource software version 6.16.3 from the link below. The file size is 57.05MB, you do not need to download any patch.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209

Also install it in the same directory (usually c:\program files\Garmin)

Please remember to install The Training Center first, otherwise MapSource won't install.
Mukhallalati Basha
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:11 am

Sat May 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks Taymarz for the info, I've written a great article on MapSource earlier, I'm glad to share this info with you and others...

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... =mapsource

Cheers!
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Sat May 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Desert Lizard;10932 wrote:I bought a refurbished Nuvi255w from the US, and it had the North American Maps installed and that is useless here, but in order to install Middle East Maps, I needed MapSource or another program so I found a neat trick to get MapSource from Garmin without having to buy the CD, or download it from a shady site.. With this you get MapSource from Garmin themselves..

First, download Training Center, Ver. 3.6.5, from the Garmin site on this link (size 42.78MB) and INSTALL IT (usually c:\program files\Garmin)
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=835

Then download MapSource software version 6.16.3 from the link below. The file size is 57.05MB, you do not need to download any patch.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209

Also install it in the same directory (usually c:\program files\Garmin)

Please remember to install The Training Center first, otherwise MapSource won't install.
Great trick DL. Actually MapSource 6.16.3 is upgrade to any previous version and will not install on empty PC, without prior installation of some Maps. Better to say, you have to own some Maps and then you can install MapSource (or maybe Training Center).

Garmin is saying:
[h=2]Installation Instructions[/h]
  1. Download the Training Center update file into a directory on your hard drive. (e.g., c:\garmin). (The philosophy of Garmin is to distribute original files on CD/DVD, to get paid, and upgrades are offered via download.)
If you had previously installed on your HD some Maps, the information is stored in registry, so maybe your trick may work. If I will have some spare time, I will try to use your method on one of my 'empty' PC.

But anyway, thanks for the hint.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Sat May 12, 2012 8:13 pm

It does work Capri, I did it on last Thursday.. :008:
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Sat May 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Desert Lizard;10937 wrote:It does work Capri, I did it on last Thursday.. :008:
Ok DL, bad news for you. What I did, I explain in next:
  1. On my 'empty PC' (I never use Mac), so just for freaks, it is W7 x 86, which never heard a word 'Garmin' in its registry, virgin, I downloaded Training Center, which installed correctly - good news.
  2. I tried to install MapSource 3.6.5, but installation was screaming for the any Maps, which were not on this PC - correct, as I said before
  3. Phase 2.
  4. I uninstalled Training Center, as it appeared to be just waste of space on my HD
  5. I got earlier from somewhere ME and NA 2013, where I was able to unlock the maps with the help of some other tools (pls don't be here very expressive) and on my virgin PC, by sudden appeared BaseCamp with the latest Maps, not asking any other basic questions. BTW, I didn't download BaseCamp separately...
  6. I believe that this is the way around for new Garmin devices, but it is not suggestible for GPSMap276C, as this device is not 100% compatible with BaseCamp and it is needed MapSource software to update the content correctly, I mentioned this earlier in my other thread.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 pm

It's bad news for the others, I managed to get it working somehow..I will try again with another PC too and see what went wrong, maybe I missed something. Thanks Capri for taking the time to verify this, appreciate your involvement.
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 am

Desert Lizard;10941 wrote:It's bad news for the others, I managed to get it working somehow..I will try again with another PC too and see what went wrong, maybe I missed something. Thanks Capri for taking the time to verify this, appreciate your involvement.
DL, it looks like hi-tec IT talk at this level, as some members may not understand what for is GPS, MapSource, BaseCamp and mainly how to use Copy&Paste technology, when fighting with their Windows installations. :011:
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Sun May 13, 2012 10:57 am

caprihorse;10962 wrote:DL, it looks like hi-tec IT talk at this level, as some members may not understand what for is GPS, MapSource, BaseCamp and mainly how to use Copy&Paste technology, when fighting with their Windows installations.
I feel you. with the trouble some many people have copying and pasting, or simply reading a post properly, it would make more sense to invest in scripting this whole operation, and adding a section on copy & paste to the driver breifing... I can bring you flip charts :021:
FSL
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 am

let's just have a drive...
Name the trip as Copy/Paste 101 and in the briefing let's just demo the correct way to register for a drive :008:
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Sun May 13, 2012 11:14 am

FSL;10964 wrote:let's just have a drive...
Name the trip as Copy/Paste 101 and in the briefing let's just demo the correct way to register for a drive :008:
Great idea, let's announce such a trip and we create a special convoy called C&P Convoy for all those who mess up with the registration.

I'm curious, how many Advanced or Intermediate drivers will feel, when they will be driving with Club Members and Newbies :011:
Post Reply