Piece of Advise - Keep it or leave it? Pajero!

dorudoru
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Everyone!

Currently I am just a club member wants to get a piece of advise of the all experienced people over here.

I am already too excited and most probably I will be getting serious soon about off-roading. Looking forward to the earliest CM drive. Now the question is, should I start to invest on my 3.8 GLS Pajero or should I look for something else.

If it was a normal time, I would stay put for a while and see how the car performs etc. However, during my last service (10.000km before) UAE dealer found out that the damper is cracked and required to be changed. Currently either I will change the dampers with the stock ones from Mitsubishi or I will invest a bit more and go for an update with a 2 inch lift suspension.

What do you think? Would my humble Pajero can carry me to the intermediate level at least with a suspension mod? Or should I start looking for another option from now on and do not invest on the Pajero at all.

Your feedback ishighly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doruk.
presa
Marshal
Marshal

dorudoru wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:53 pm Hello Everyone!

Currently I am just a club member wants to get a piece of advise of the all experienced people over here.

I am already too excited and most probably I will be getting serious soon about off-roading. Looking forward to the earliest CM drive. Now the question is, should I start to invest on my 3.8 GLS Pajero or should I look for something else.

If it was a normal time, I would stay put for a while and see how the car performs etc. However, during my last service (10.000km before) UAE dealer found out that the damper is cracked and required to be changed. Currently either I will change the dampers with the stock ones from Mitsubishi or I will invest a bit more and go for an update with a 2 inch lift suspension.

What do you think? Would my humble Pajero can carry me to the intermediate level at least with a suspension mod? Or should I start looking for another option from now on and do not invest on the Pajero at all.

Thanks,
Doruk.
Hi Doruk, good to hear you are getting into offroading!

Pajero is a competent car, but as a longer car (LWB), not as powerful and offroad oriented as an FJ, Wrangler or Patrol Y61 you might feel you need more after advancing to higher levels.

That said, a few members from our club reach intermediate level with stock (or almost) Pajero.

Personally I wouldnt change the car at this point. I would do a few drives, at least 10 drives with Almost4x4, before deciding to investing - or not - in another car.

About changing the shocks, if is mandatory to change, I would upgrade to get some lift and more offroad oriented. If not mandatory I wouldnt spend money on it now...

This is a personal opinion... thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

presa wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:06 pm
Hi Doruk, good to hear you are getting into offroading!

Pajero is a competent car, but as a longer car (LWB), not as powerful and offroad oriented as an FJ, Wrangler or Patrol Y61 you might feel you need more after advancing to higher levels.

That said, a few members from our club reach intermediate level with stock (or almost) Pajero.

Personally I wouldnt change the car at this point. I would do a few drives, at least 10 drives with Almost4x4, before deciding to investing - or not - in another car.

About changing the shocks, if is mandatory to change, I would upgrade to get some lift and more offroad oriented. If not mandatory I wouldnt spend money on it now...

This is a personal opinion... thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
I second to this. well said.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
jayslens

Hey Doruk,

As @presa and @Phoenix nix have mentioned the Pajero is competent car. That being said and being a proud owner of it one (LWB Version), before I felt that the Pajero is a normal, best value car. But after being on drives with this club, learning more about the Pajero including it's history and the way it drives through any kind of terrain I feel really proud of my baby. Yes it has its faults but that's like any other car.

The LWB is comfortable and can get you through but I feel the SWB is much better if you want do serious dune bashing.

Ultimately, it really depends on your needs and your budget. All I would say is be patient and take one step at a time. Invest like a cockroach Psmiley

Oh and when you do invest in a car specially for off-roading do look into GEN 2 - 1999 model of Pajero.

See you in sand with your Pajero!

Keep it rolling thumbsup
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

dorudoru wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:53 pm Hello Everyone!

Thanks,
Doruk.
To make it simple, for now stay away from any thoughts of investing on anything yet. Attend a few drives with us and in about 10 or so drives you will have a clear picture of what direction to take.

As per your driving style you will know what to go for and what not. Also everytime you drive with us, DO NOT SHY AWAY from asking us any technical questions, we love them and love helping out all members.

This way you will know in a few weeks or months exactly what direction to take regarding offroading.

See you on the sand.
Phoenix
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills