Y61 tires

Fat Rabbit

Good evening all,

My 2016 tires for my Y61 SWB (Patrol Safari) have worn off and need replacement :(

Stock tires are Bridgestone 275/70R16 114H.

Any recommendations whether I should replace with stock or change for other/better tires?

Also, any recommended places for quotations? Al Rostamani's quote is AED 3200 with balancing and alignment.

Any help/pointers will be appreciated.
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
Haani

Hey [mention]Fat Rabbit[/mention] !

Don't bother using stock tires or consulting Al Rostamani for tires.
Offroad tires listed below offer way better grip for little to no real cons (on road included) and Rostamani will always charge more than market pricing.

Assuming your suspension setup is stock, stick to the stock size to avoid other complications.

The 3 most commonly used offroad tires on the y61 are:

1) Cooper Discovery AT3 / Mastercraft AXT (Both are practically the same and cooper owns mastercraft)

2) Yokohama Geolander A/T

3) BFGoodrich KO2

I have most experience with the k02 so will start with it. The KO2s have the most grip among the tires listed above, have the thickest sidewalls and generally the toughest. However, in low momentum scenarious such as steep climbs or extremely soft sand, a patrol with KO2s tends to dig since the grippy tires are trying to move the sand rather than float over it. But this will only be observed when the going gets really tough. For most 10+ drives, these tires do perfectly fine.

When bfgs are deflated, they only bulge a little and keep much of the form that they have when fully inflated. I feel that this helps my stock suspension absorb some of the forces due to its thick side walls.

The other 2 are both equally great. Cant go wrong with either of them. Both are quite frankly better suited for the desert since they have ample grip but also slide and float. They are also more cost effective with Mastercraft being the cheapest.

With regards to load rating, look for the lowest rating you can find. With yoko and cooper/mastercraft, this is less relevant.

Presto Tyres is where I got my BFG Load rating C from.

Hope that helps!
Fat Rabbit

Thanks buddy, most appreciated :)
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari