Suspension job - Advise!

Saifarif
Club Member
Club Member

Morning Almosters!

Got an Ironman suspension kit installed (40mm) on my Pajero last week.

I've been getting this dull "clunk" noise in the rear when coming down bumps (when the spring compresses). Installer says its "normal" and is due to the spring, rubber cup, car all being new :S.They said they'll put on a coil spring noise suppressor and that should do it.

I want to get a second opinion from an expert on offroad suspensions. I'm thinking there could be something wrong with the install job. Please share your inputs so I can get this annoying thing resolved and spend my time with my car in the desert, where it should be.

Thanks,

Saif
dLemma
Intermediate
Intermediate

Well, I don't have a Pajero, but I think you should not hear any clunk sound coming from a brand new suspension if it is properly fit with all components.

Do you have the chance to lift the car and check the suspension assembly? Are all pieces (wheels included) firmly in place if you grab the wheel and try to move it in-out?

Additionally, with the car standing on ground normally loaded, check how much space there is where the coil-end touches the support on the axle.

There should be some gap (normally 1 to 2 cm) there to allow the coil to extend while compressing (the coil side will rotate a bit). If there is no gap, that might be a reason why you will hear noise during deep compression: the coil will have a rapid movement (such as when you are coming down from speed bumps), will rotate quickly and will hit the axle stop because it has not enough space. And metal against metal, you'll hear that "clunk".

If that's the reason, you can lift the car to take the weight off the wheel and rotate a bit the coil, so that you create some space between the coil-end and its stop on the axle.
But keep in mind that coil will slowly keep rotating and over time (few to several thousand miles, depending on the driving conditions) you will have to repeat the tuning.

Alternatively, you can ask to put a tick rubber stop at the end of the axle, so that when the coil will hit it it won't produce any "clunk" anymore. That is probably what the garage is referring to as "coil spring noise suppressor".

Again, I don't have a Pajero, but it might be one reason of the "clunk" during compression.

Let us know what was the problem after you will have checked it out.
Saifarif
Club Member
Club Member

Thank you Roberto!

I've ruled out worn out bushings on sway bar, UCA and LCA. It's a new car! Not sure if the bolts weren't tightened properly but I haven't thought about the coil spring tuning. I'll point it out to the installer.

Any recommendations on garages you've worked with previously for such a job?
dLemma
Intermediate
Intermediate

Saifarif;47383 wrote:Thank you Roberto!

I've ruled out worn out bushings on sway bar, UCA and LCA. It's a new car! Not sure if the bolts weren't tightened properly but I haven't thought about the coil spring tuning. I'll point it out to the installer.

Any recommendations on garages you've worked with previously for such a job?
It's a pretty simple job, you can actually do it by yourself if you have a place where you can lift the car to release load from the wheel and use a screwdriver as a lever to turn a bit the spring.

I'm not a big expert on garages in this country, for the few things I had to do I went to Almost 4x4 Garage in Sharjah.

However, since you have got your suspensions fixed, I would suggest to go back to the garage who installed them to you and ask them to check the spacing of the coil end. And possibly to install the "noise suppressor" that they were mentioning, which I guess it will be a simple piece of high-density rubber.

Let us know.
Saifarif
Club Member
Club Member

Hi [MENTION=10663]dLemma[/MENTION]

Spent the morning and noon at Dollar Auto works - distributors and installers of Ironman parts. They carefully checked each and every component, test drove it (off and on road) and fixed the problem which was due to a faulty shock!! Replaced rear coil springs and shocks and everything's running smooth so far. Good customer service I must say.

Also, sincere thanks to fellow Almoster [MENTION=11226]mahesh_bmj[/MENTION] who went out of his way to help out. Thanks a bunch [MENTION=11226]mahesh_bmj[/MENTION]!!

Saif
dLemma
Intermediate
Intermediate

Saifarif;47397 wrote:Hi [MENTION=10663]dLemma[/MENTION]

Spent the morning and noon at Dollar Auto works - distributors and installers of Ironman parts. They carefully checked each and every component, test drove it (off and on road) and fixed the problem which was due to a faulty shock!! Replaced rear coil springs and shocks and everything's running smooth so far. Good customer service I must say.

Also, sincere thanks to fellow Almoster [MENTION=11226]mahesh_bmj[/MENTION] who went out of his way to help out. Thanks a bunch [MENTION=11226]mahesh_bmj[/MENTION]!!

Saif
Good to hear that the problem was fixed!
Now, get ready for the desert!
See you on the sand.
mahesh_bmj
Intermediate
Intermediate

Saifarif;47397 wrote:
Also, sincere thanks to fellow Almoster @mahesh_bmj who went out of his way to help out. Thanks a bunch @mahesh_bmj!!

Saif

You are welcome @Saifarif . I'm glad they fixed the problem.