kia mohave

rinjose
Club Member
Club Member

Hi guys

please let me know if you have driven a kia mohave and how suitable is it for offroad purpose.

also how reliable are kia in general ( spare part costs, is a kia serviceable outside dealership etc... )

thanks
LarenJohn
Club Member
Club Member

i guess
if you have a transfer case/center diff lock and Low range you're good to go
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Such type of cars will suffer in the desert mostly because of their low approach and departure angles and weight. It can be improved but it will cost much more than the cars generally used in desert like FJs, Jeeps etc. and since its not common it would be hard to find those mods for your car.

Having a strong engine or offroad futures like diff locks ,central locks , low gear etc cant help you if you keep hitting your front and rear of your car to the dunes and eventually you will experience a lot of major damages unless you don't improve approach ,departure angles and ground clearance.

Also it depends on what type of tracks you want to drive on. Even a sedan can be driven in flat desert if you deflate the tires :)
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
rinjose
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks for the response.

It does have 4L low. Ground clearance is 216mm ( 8.5 inch )

I could see the departure angles could be an issue ( but i have very little practical exp on offloading ).

Besides how expensive is a kia to maintain and can it be easily serviced outside dealership if required.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Forget whatever are you saying, Kia and Hyundai are crossovers with very weak power and are struggling to drive flat dunes, therefore not capable to drive off-road. The next in line is Pajero with her bad computer logic and sensors.
However good news for you is, stay with Pajero, until you realize if you really want to do off-roading and decide for the car that suits you.
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi,

I am driving a KIA Sorento.It is an old model so its built as an offroad car.But before I start using it I made a lot of research. I saw people using it in Russia at very tough offroad terrain, I found one guy modified it for desert and used all over UAE. I found a lot of applied offroad modifications for it before deciding to go for it. I thought it might be a good learning car but it exceed my expectations with its performance.

I followed the applied samples that I found . Lifted the car with ARB Old Man kit + Day star coil spacers (Which was an available product made specifically for my car) ,put bigger tires ,cut the front bumper to improve the approach and departure angles . Now it can do even intermediate level drives.

I cant say you can do the same for the Mohave. You should make a lot of research about it. If you find any applied sample or any specific modification produced for your car you can try following the same path otherwise it would be a very costly experiment and time consuming for you. Or you follow the easy way and use a car already tested by many people in the desert.

No one is expert about all car models. You should do your homework.

Thanks

rinjose;44923 wrote:Thanks for the response.

It does have 4L low. Ground clearance is 216mm ( 8.5 inch )

I could see the departure angles could be an issue ( but i have very little practical exp on offloading ).

Besides how expensive is a kia to maintain and can it be easily serviced outside dealership if required.
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
rinjose
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks for taking time to explain mate.
Daggerfall;44967 wrote:Hi,

I am driving a KIA Sorento.It is an old model so its built as an offroad car.But before I start using it I made a lot of research. I saw people using it in Russia at very tough offroad terrain, I found one guy modified it for desert and used all over UAE. I found a lot of applied offroad modifications for it before deciding to go for it. I thought it might be a good learning car but it exceed my expectations with its performance.

I followed the applied samples that I found . Lifted the car with ARB Old Man kit + Day star coil spacers (Which was an available product made specifically for my car) ,put bigger tires ,cut the front bumper to improve the approach and departure angles . Now it can do even intermediate level drives.

I cant say you can do the same for the Mohave. You should make a lot of research about it. If you find any applied sample or any specific modification produced for your car you can try following the same path otherwise it would be a very costly experiment and time consuming for you. Or you follow the easy way and use a car already tested by many people in the desert.

No one is expert about all car models. You should do your homework.

Thanks