LC70 vs Y61

Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

I was at Toyota, about to buy a LC70..... until i discovered it does not have ABS Brakes.

As a car that will be driven on the highway at 120km/h, it is a "basic" safety feature i regarded as essential.....So i walked away.

Regards
Paul

PS: Speaking to LC70 drivers, it does come with ABS Brakes in some countries and even in the UAE, sometimes.....
JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Yes that's true Paul. It's pretty scary driving these on the highway. Also something I got to know after buying the LC71 is the engine noise. The engine noise in the cabin is high and similar to the Jeep wrangler I used to own before.

As Paul mentioned since it does not have ABS, I drive by keeping a distance on the highway. The other two observation are:

1. The torque is high and the engine rev sound is loud in the cabin.
2. Wish it had two more gears to drive on the highway as driving in 5th gear at 100 kmph feels like driving in 3rd gear.

Regards
Jerry
JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Also there is one thing I missed to mention. I did have a difficult time getting the LC71 registered in my name. Before purchase Al Futtaim had mentioned that I would have to register this vehicle. All other vehicles they would register but not this one. After purchase RTA refused to register this vehicle saying it's only for Emiratis. When I decided to walk out of the deal and get a refund, Al Futtaim management got involved and got this registered for me.

Now I don't know what trouble I will have to go through when it comes up for renewal.

Regards
Jerry
Dave
Advance
Advance

Congratulations Jerry. I believe once you have over come the initial registration issues renewal shouldn't be an issue. I had initially tried to purchase a Y61 VTC pick up truck from Nissan as it was only Dhs 110k but even after being in Dubai over 30 years I wasn't considered local enough!!! A good thing in hindsight as I have been very happy with the Hard Top. As you discovered these tough old school Japanese 4x4's are hard to get hold of but the search pays off in the end. Nothing else out there compares to their strength and reliability in the desert. Enjoy your new toy!
JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks Dave, can't wait to drive the LC71 off-road. Right now I am on a US/Canada trip. So waiting to get back and see how it is compared to my Y61.

Regards
Jerry
Kris_K

Congrats, Jerry.
adventure motox

did you end up getting your LC?
Dave
Advance
Advance

Something tells me @adventuremotox is not fully convinced by the FJ and is looking for any excuse to exchange for an LC!! [MENTION=9259]JerryGeorge[/MENTION] is probably having too much fun to be posting on the forum this month!