LC70 vs Y61

JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Hello everybody,

From your experience, what would you recommend as the better vehicle between the Toyota LC70 and Nissan 2 Door Y61 hardtop. What would you rate higher in terms of:

1. Better suited for desert driving
2. Reliability
3. Maintenability
4. As a daily use vehicle

Apprecite your feedback
Cheers
Jerry
Dave
Advance
Advance

[URL="http://Image"]http://[/URL]Image
Dave
Advance
Advance

[URL="http://Image"]http://[/URL]Image
Dave
Advance
Advance

[MENTION=9259]JerryGeorge[/MENTION] Really down to personal choice. LC70 slightly more rugged and basic, hence a little ahead for off road use but Patrol SWB slightly better equipped so a bit more comfortable for daily use. Both very tough. Both very reliable. Both require just the minimal maintenance. Both require little if any off road modification. With a good driver in each one they would be a difficult pair of cars to beat. Ideal for the gulf climate and it's desert terrain.
JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks Dave for the advise and pictures. Really appreciate.

I visited both showrooms. LC71 is selling for 137500 (manual) and Nissan 2Door is 166,900 (automatic). Manual version is a few thousand cheaper.

Regards
Jerry
Dave
Advance
Advance

[MENTION=9259]JerryGeorge[/MENTION] I would shop around as those prices are high. I was car shopping last month with a friend who unfortunately rolled his car which was subsequently written off. We found a white 2015 LC70 zero km Toyota selling for Dhs125k in Ras al Khor. With a little negotiation the price would have come down to 120k I'd imagine. There were many SWB Patrols on offer there also. For some reason the Patrol GL model is no longer sold here so there is a crazy mark up for the next two grades. Color coded bumpers, sunroofs and fake wood panelling interior ends up adding over 30-40k on the price I payed new for my 2012 Patrol. All of which I would rather do without to be honest. But for about Dhs120k you would also find a very low mileage Patrol 2014-2015 model. Nissan have a used stock showroom there also so you can have the salesman check his data base to see what's available.

A final tip would be to watch out for arriving 2016 models which should be any time soon. Most showrooms will drop the price of "old" 2015 stock to make way for new. And in most cases there are no difference in specification.

All the best with your search.
JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks Dave, I will drive down to Ras Al Khor and check out the White LC70. I will also pay a visit to the Nissan Used Showroom.

Cheers
Jerry
Kris_K

Hi Jerry,
please let us know how is your car hunt doing? I will be shortly looking around for a Y61 too. Dave's beast looks amazing!
I wonder when Nissan will launch Y62 in SWB, if at all?
Cheers
Kris
kvish

Hi [MENTION=9259]JerryGeorge[/MENTION], I was looking at the same pair. Let me know how your search goes. Cheers
JerryGeorge
Club Member
Club Member

Hi Guys, this is the latest new. After a month of search I found about 3 to 4 Toyota LC71's at the Aweer market. Most were priced high between 123K to 135K. And these were 2013 and 2014 models.

When I checked at Al Futtaim they were selling 2015 VXR models for 137500. There are 5 left (1 white and 4 beige). These are full option with reverse camera and parking sensors, power windows, Bluetooth connectivity and navigation system to name a few. So I went ahead and picked one. Compared to my Y61 it is a compromise on comfort but the torque is absolutely great to compensate for the discomfort.

With the Y61, same case, I looked around in Aweer and did find few priced between 132K to 145K. However the mileage in some were high. Then you also have no history of its use. Did not find anything that caught my attention.

At the Nissan showroom, new models were selling for 166k. They had 2 left and it comes with basic package. No other options are available. Rostamani now brings only one variant. The all grey and black interior. When it hits the road price will be around 175k. I wouldn't bet on buying a second hand 2 door Y61.

The best option would be to wait for a good one to be put up for sale at Aweer. But that would mean constantly checking for one.

Regards
Jerry