Wrangler Front Plastic Bumper Dent

greenbar

Hi - this is my first post so sorry if it is in the wrong place!

I had a fantastic first trip "catch the star" but while I was out in the desert I bumped my front bumper (perfectly understandable hazard of driving off road) It is the factory fit bumper from a 2014 jeep wrangler. I thought you may be able to push the bumper out from behind, so I took the bumper off but on this model it is a sealed unit (the whole thing is plastic sealed with empty space in the middle) so there is no access from the back. I did some research online and saw a guy who drilled small hole, screwed in a screw, then heated the areas around the dent. He then pulled the screw with pliers and the dent popped out. I also read it is possible to take off the bumper then cut a hole in the back to push out the dent from the back.

Does anyone have any experience with these or recommendations on the best method? Or is it best just to forget about it?! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2574[/ATTACH]
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Hi [MENTION=10279]greenbar[/MENTION],

We had this one with my friend's JK and as you said we cut a hole from behind and pushed the dent from inside. It was not fully perfect but acceptable. The bents were lighter than the rest in color. But it happened again :)

Regards.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

[video=youtube_share;cf6F-I6jmiA][/video]
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
greenbar

Thanks for the advice [MENTION=3080]Agalon[/MENTION] [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION], I will try and fix it this weekend!
greenbar

The repair went great this weekend! I took off the bumper and cut out a small hole behind the dent, making sure that the bumper was hollow behind. I then worked the hole bigger to be able to fit through the blunt end of a kitchen spoon. I slowly poured a whole kettle of boiling water onto the dented area (along the lines of the dent) before working from behind with the blunt tool. Eventually it popped out and just required some small adjustments before it took on the correct shape. There is a slight line but overall it looks great! Thanks for your help and advice guys [MENTION=3080]Agalon[/MENTION] [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]ALKHATIB[/MENTION]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2576[/ATTACH]
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Looks perfect. Nice job. Congratulations.

Regards,
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi [MENTION=10279]greenbar[/MENTION]

I am happy that you got dent issue sorted out. Now let us find the reason why it happened and how to avoid it.

Many new offroaders with modified or high clearance cars think that they can do whatever they want or like and there is no need to worry like the other cars. Unfortunately, this is a false feeling. Wither you have a modified car or not you still need to take care of your toy. The marshals always say be gentle when you are approaching or leaving sharp edges. I think that you got the hit while going down because you were coming a bit fast. This can be rectified by learning the right speed for your car.

I wish you the best and keep the sand flying
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills