Solar Power the Car

hamzahng
Crew
Crew

Hi all, I was thinking about installing some light Bars,a refrigerator, and a compressor, in my car, and as from the title. I want to make them solar powered. any one can help in that matter? any advice would be great, I have some basic drawings with control circuits. I am just down on two parts Money and the solar power thing. Also is it possible to connect the Car's AC (Fan) to the solar powered battery on low power just to move the air inside the car (just as the Volkswagon Touareg REST mode?) If anyone can help me we can meet somewhere so we can discuss how feasible is it.
fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear,

If you like to solar power your car you can do that easily.
Just connect the solar panel to your car battery, and all the collected solar energy will be saved in it, so you make sure the energy is not lost.

Then every electrical on-board device will utilize partial solar energy and you do not need separate wiring etc.

But it until now the solar panel are not that efficient so the benefits compared to cost is negative, so my opinion its a waste of money and work and i think the panel will whistle around your ears on highway and your aerodynamic will suffer.

I would recommend you upgrade to a bigger battery then you can run your ventilation system all night long ;-)
hamzahng
Crew
Crew

Dear fadi,

I thought about it at first, but I want the fridge to be running 24/7, also the ventilation system to work for 10 mins every 30 or 45 mins. The control is figured out already, its the power that is getting on my nerves. I don't know how many watts the fan will be drawing but the fridge is rated by 46 W so i assumed each for a 100 W. I think i need 500 W solar cell with 250 to 300 Ah battery. But from what i read online, there should be some sort of a regulator between the solar cell and the battery.

As for the whistling, i haven't thought about it, but isnt it avoidable if I put and inclined plate on the front so the air will glide instead of hitting it directly?

And also as for the aerodynamics, i don't know if it will affect it that much. Its not very thick. I think somewhere around 50 60 mm maybe?