Best "Desert only" car

Orsomucca

Hi guys

I'm curious to know your toughts about this topic.

let's try to find the perfect desert toy. something you only use when you go dune bashing, something you can beat hard without worrying too much about it or the fact you will need it the next day to go to work .

First of all should be cheap (if not a new JK will be perfect), capable and quite reliable (not to kill you with repairing costs). modifications are ok but with in mind safety of the occupants and performance, not look. stripping our the interior is fine unless the car remain road legal

For me a good choice is the Patrol Y61 4.8, but it's still too expensive (above 50.000). what about the 4.5?

other option is the old Pajero. is not much loved here but it's a solid option for amateur rally raid in europe. The 225HP SWB should perform quite well with a suspension upgrade. price around 20.000

in the same price range there is the Pathfinder R50

so, let me know your toughts on the above and share your favourite!

ps: buggy/RZR and similar are not allowed in this list. The car should be road legal and allow you to drive it from home to the desert and back
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

86 - 94 Toyota 4 runner or pickup .
What goes around , comes around .
Orsomucca

what about Cherokee XJ? they can be quite cheap
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Definitely not Patrol 4.5 as this engine was a mistake by Nissan and almost killed the sales. Therefore Nissan developed 4.8L engine which is good until today.

Pathfinder R50, 3.5L engine only as 3.3L was again a mistake by Nissan and is very weak. R50 requires very fine and sensitive driver.
Orsomucca

Capri, thank you for the feedback. Honestly I like the idea of the R50. I tried the engine on a 350Z and it's really nice.

What you mean for fine and sensitive driver? that the car shouldn't be abused?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Orsomucca;42088 wrote:Capri, thank you for the feedback. Honestly I like the idea of the R50. I tried the engine on a 350Z and it's really nice.

What you mean for fine and sensitive driver? that the car shouldn't be abused?
Exactly correct, she shouldn't be abused, no jumping, no unnecessary high revs, precise work with clutch, predictive maintenance, etc. This engine is one of the best ever produced by Nissan, she's in Maxima, Infinity and Pathfinder 2014 (yes, Nissan returned this engine back to the latest model).
Dave
Advance
Advance

First and foremost a 4x4 needs to be tough and reliable to cope with the abuse that comes from a few hours driving around the dunes. Being smooth and gentle takes years of experience so for 90% of us it's better find a car that can cope with the "odd" mistake we may perform! Cooling is vital, especially over the next 5 months. Their are many JK fans here but the above two points rules that out immediately. Too much power is demanded from the small 3.6 pentastar engine and already we have to stop for "cooling" breaks as the temperature passes 40 degrees Celsius.

Toyota and Nissan both do their development driving here in the UAE. The engines are generally large displacement (4 litre and above, 6 to 8 cylinder) and come with large radiators to cope with the summer heat. The Toyota LC70 and "hardtop" Patrol with the VTC engine would be two of my choices. Both are also produced in pick-up format which are popular with the Bedouin farmers who are the real experts.

I may of course be a little biased but I have driven and owned many 4x4's here. I had a wrangler. Probably the most fun especially with the top off. But by no means the toughest. An old Land Rover Defender and a classic Range Rover. Both oozing character but cars I would never do a solo drive with.

The Japanese cars may lack character and that fun factor. But for the Gulf region at least, I believe they are King.
Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dave;42250 wrote:An old Land Rover Defender and a classic Range Rover. Both oozing character but cars I would never do a solo drive with.
I did it once with my Landy and I regretted it
Orsomucca

my experience with the Defender was actually very good. 9000km in 20 days during summer (africa) with a good amount off-road and not a single issue. it was a 2.4 TDCI
I will never consider it as a toy in this part of the world because it's so underpowered.

Probably Y61 Patrol is a good choiche, either swb or pick-up but the prices are quite high.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Orsomucca;42084 wrote:what about Cherokee XJ? they can be quite cheap
The Cherokee XJ can be a very good dedicated offroad car however bear in mind that repairs will be there whenever applicable. hehehe

I loved my Cherokee XJ and it saved me a lot of money when I decided to go for the new JK. In terms of how NOT to break the car and all that