Side Steps...good or bad experience

fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dears,
I have some questions and wanted to ask for your advice. On my Pathfinder R50 I have dismounted the side steps, I thought its better regarding the ground clearance. But after dismounting I realized that the car has some unprotected low points and the side step would be a buffer to protect them. Does anybody experienced the difference? If the positive affect of removing is neglectible I would mount them on again.
Also I got new tires 275 70 R16 but when I need to make a sharp turn, the tires touch my front bumper splash guards. I am afraid if I remove the splash guards the tire will rub onto something else, in worst case something sharp. The car does not have any mods.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

fadi;42072 wrote:Dears,
I have some questions and wanted to ask for your advice. On my Pathfinder R50 I have dismounted the side steps, I thought its better regarding the ground clearance. But after dismounting I realized that the car has some unprotected low points and the side step would be a buffer to protect them. Does anybody experienced the difference? If the positive affect of removing is neglectible I would mount them on again.
Also I got new tires 275 70 R16 but when I need to make a sharp turn, the tires touch my front bumper splash guards. I am afraid if I remove the splash guards the tire will rub onto something else, in worst case something sharp. The car does not have any mods.
Definitely it is not a good idea to remove side steps. They are somehow the protection for everything which is mounted on the belly. Put them back.
Splash guards you don't need at all, I removed as first in the front. Rear ones removed the desert later. At normal conditions front wheels are not touching. If you after some time will hear rubbing, it means your inner fenders might be bent. Try not to jump when driving the desert and skip all wadi drives.
fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks dear for this valuable information, I will take the advice and save money and trouble.

Definitely will avoid jumps since I still didn’t find the airbag fuse…loool…would appreciate your advise as well regarding airbag and abs deactivation.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

fadi;42076 wrote:Thanks dear for this valuable information, I will take the advice and save money and trouble.

Definitely will avoid jumps since I still didn’t find the airbag fuse…loool…would appreciate your advise as well regarding airbag and abs deactivation.
There is no issue with airbags in Pathfinder, no need to search for fuse.

I'm pretty sure that you are not able to make worse hits with front as I was doing in my Newbie times. :whut: