Filters

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

We all know that after a drive in the desert we have to clean our air filters, otherwise the engine stops operating efficiently as it can't get enough air ( it can't breath properly).
I recently had a service and the garage (who should have known better) replaced my air filter with an 'oil' one, so that after a couple of hours driving the sand completely clogged up the new filter, by sticking to the oil on the filter. I have subsequently fixed this problem by replacing it with the standard Nissan ( un-oiled) filter again.

Additionally, I have also discovered that there is another filter (this time for the AC aircon), which should also be checked and cleaned!
My (in)experience was that after 2 (well to be honest it was probably 3 years of not knowing there was such a thing as an AC filter!) my AC just wasn't working as well as it should. In the Xterra there is an AC filter behind the glove-box, and it only costs some dhs100 to replace, and once this was done my AC works really well again!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

ginger;41200 wrote:We all know that after a drive in the desert we have to clean our air filters, otherwise the engine stops operating efficiently as it can't get enough air ( it can't breath properly).
I recently had a service and the garage (who should have known better) replaced my air filter with an 'oil' one, so that after a couple of hours driving the sand completely clogged up the new filter, by sticking to the oil on the filter. I have subsequently fixed this problem by replacing it with the standard Nissan ( un-oiled) filter again.

Additionally, I have also discovered that there is another filter (this time for the AC aircon), which should also be checked and cleaned!
My (in)experience was that after 2 (well to be honest it was probably 3 years of not knowing there was such a thing as an AC filter!) my AC just wasn't working as well as it should. In the Xterra there is an AC filter behind the glove-box, and it only costs some dhs100 to replace, and once this was done my AC works really well again!
Hehe, nice one, btw the lifespan of A/C filter is typically 20,000 km. It's written in the owner's manual.:zomg:
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

All branded aftermarket C.A.I. ( Cold Air Intake ) systems has the option of "oiled " or " Dry " filters . Both types have their prons & cons .

- Oiled filters have bigger holes = more volume , more velocity , more power but they need constant maintenance ( wash & re-oil ) almost every off road trip and if over oiled even a little bit it will get blocked immediately in the desert .

- Dry ( cotton ) filters has smaller holes but they are almost maintenance free and easy to clean ( remove & clean with air pressure ) once every 4 to 6 desert trips .

I have changed my K&N oiled cone shape filter ( series 66 ) with an A.F.E. dry (cotton) one of the same size and shape , really satisfied with the result . if you are running a stock ( paper ) filter , upgrading to a dry ( cotton ) filter is a good investment as it comes with " life time " warranty .
What goes around , comes around .