Air Compressor Advice

iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Hi all,

I have been reading various thread on this forums on what to look for when buying a new compressors and things to avoid. On various threads I have seen advice to get a compressor with a minimum flow rate of 150lpm. I am assuming that this flow rate is measured at under no pressure but wondering what flow rate to look out for when compressor is under pressure i.e. 30PSI?

Thanks in advance!
iJanab
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

iJanab;41032 wrote:Hi all,

I have been reading various thread on this forums on what to look for when buying a new compressors and things to avoid. On various threads I have seen advice to get a compressor with a minimum flow rate of 150lpm. I am assuming that this flow rate is measured at under no pressure but wondering what flow rate to look out for when compressor is under pressure i.e. 30PSI?

Thanks in advance!
iJanab
Air flow of the compressor is measured at given nominal pressure, which is mentioned on the compressor itself.
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi

I have bushranger max air II . According to specs it can provide 50 litre/min @30 psi. and 72 litre/min max pressure.

I can inflate my tires in a very reasonable time (265/70R16) and fix pop outs (That is the main reason for suggesting high air flow) easily.

These figures might help.

Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks for your reply Carpihorse! However, my question was if there is is any guidance on particular flow rate to look out for when compressor is under pressure? As manufacturer may advertise their compressor as 150lpm but when you see the small print in specification/label you may realise that 150lpm is measured at free flow but its only capable of doing half of that under "nominal" pressure, which (at least to me) will defeat the purpose of buying a 150lpm rated compressor...

Also anyone had any experience with BushRanger's Max Air line compressors?

Thanks,
Adnan
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks Daggerfall! Yes Max Air III has a flow rate same as your max II and it is essentially half the flow rate recommended by marshals and forum admins. But it doesn't lose much of that flow when it is under pressure..

Seeing your positive response about bushranger makes me think that you may need a 150lpm flow rate compressor if you are buying from Dragon Mart as it will probably perform half of that under pressure... as compared to a reputable brands which (mostly) deliver on what they promise.. :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Physics: The pressure and flow rate are inversely proportional; that is, as pressure increases, compressor flow rate decreases.
In practise it means, you need mostly your compressor at pop-out, where you are starting with high flow and zero pressure. It is enough approx. to have 10 psi in the tyre, and it pops back.
For inflating the tyres after the trip, the time is not very critical and then it depends on the compressor, what flow it has between 25-35 psi. It is always also advisable to adjust air at nearest petrol station, to have equal pressure everywhere. Those compressors are relatively good and fast, some of them have also sticker with certificate of the last control check.
My personal experience with Bushranger is, that it is just making noise. All our guys are relying on 2-cylinders compressors from Dragonmart.

Additionally for the price of Bushranger you can buy 4 Dragonmart compressors and have some backup
:whisper:
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

@iJanab , I advise you to try both compressors ( Bush-ranger & Dragon Mart Red Camel ) and give us your feedback . You can buy the cheap one first ( Dragon mart ) and try it , if not satisfied , then buy the more expensive one ( Bush-ranger ) and try to resell the old one , if not satisfied you can go for the most expensive one ( ARB Twin ) .
What goes around , comes around .
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

iJanab;41052 wrote:Thanks Daggerfall! Yes Max Air III has a flow rate same as your max II and it is essentially half the flow rate recommended by marshals and forum admins. But it doesn't lose much of that flow when it is under pressure..

Seeing your positive response about bushranger makes me think that you may need a 150lpm flow rate compressor if you are buying from Dragon Mart as it will probably perform half of that under pressure... as compared to a reputable brands which (mostly) deliver on what they promise.. :)
I was not suggesting you to buy Bushranger but I was giving the figures as an example to give you an idea about which figures (for my example) are sufficient. As mentioned by others it is 4 times expensive than the ones from Dragonmart and many members are using those big red ones (I dont remember the name) for a long time without any problem.

If you are considering I am happy with it since it is also compact compared to those from dragonmart and gave me no trouble so far. Sometimes I inflated 2 cars after the trip in no time.

Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

[MENTION=955]caprihorse[/MENTION] – I was more focused on filling up air when you come out of desert hence was looking for guidance on the flow rate under pressure but what you have said makes more sense to have something which will come handy in the event of pop out as well as enough to bring your tires back to safe pressure after you finish the trip and top up air to correct pressure at nearest fuel station..
[MENTION=1531]Abu Jimmy[/MENTION] – Well I can only wish that I can try every single compressor available here in the market and give you guys feedback.. The idea of doing research and asking questions is to tap into the wisdom/experience you all have built and use that to buy the product once and buy it right :)

@Draggerfall – Thanks again for your feedback. I agree that there is a significant price a difference but as saying goes “Poor man always pays twice”.. I don’t mind forking out some extra cash if the product is right and justifies the cost.

I will be going to Dragon mart on Thursday to buy walkie talkie so will check out the camel ones too..

Thanks again for all your feedback :)
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Camel brand air compressor available in dragon mart cost 230dhs only. Carreful that its single cylinder version has higher airflow than the twin (after comparing with members). For starting, it is the best choice. Mine broke (in Liwa) after 8month of heavy use, but as I was in a convoy, fellow member helped me with his compressor. As soon as I returned back to Dubai I bought another camel compressor and fit it inside car. If we do the calculation it is cheaper to replace a camel compressor yearly during 5 years. Than buying expensive one that may not last for that same period. I personally advice the camel air compressor, it is excellent for its price.