not sure where to post this...WRANGLER vs DEFENDER debate

pato mwazi
Club Member
Club Member

Someone pls explain why Jeep can keep the Wrangler in production but Land-Rover cant keep the Defender in production...in my opinion
Same tech, same capabilities, same reliability issues, same market target segment, same looks, the only difference is the price tag of which I think the Defender is overpriced due to it carrying the LR brand other than that they all the same car...
Ashraf, Adam, Mark, ?!?!?...just a thought....

http://airows.com/land-rover-just-dropp ... defenders/

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

pato mwazi;40530 wrote:Someone pls explain why Jeep can keep the Wrangler in production but Land-Rover cant keep the Defender in production...in my opinion
Same tech, same capabilities, same reliability issues, same market target segment, same looks, the only difference is the price tag of which I think the Defender is overpriced due to it carrying the LR brand other than that they all the same car...
Ashraf, Adam, Mark, ?!?!?...just a thought....

Maybe some answers are here

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/n ... 7_38411947
Orsomucca

Main issue with the Defender is that it won't pass the stringent EU regulation, as mentioned in the Caprihorse link.
in 2007 the side-facing seats have been removed to comply to the rules, and now is not possible anymore to register a car without air-bags.
I think that for this market the 2.2 L diesel engine with 122HP is a big cons, and also the comfort on the road is much worse than the wrangler.

The price difference I think is mainly due to dealer strategy, in europe they have similar prices
pato mwazi
Club Member
Club Member

for the sake of argument....wranglers are sold in the EU...so...cant the same changes be implimented on the defender...airbags...with all that tech...they cant string airbags on it...even Trabant and Lada has airbags and drum brakes both front and back....emissions....just stick in one of those bmw engines they use...or for that matter outsource from ford or something.....
Orsomucca

emissions are OK, the new 2.2 TDCI Ford Engine is Euro5. No idea about airbags, if it's so tough or not.

It's even true that almost all the manufacturers are discontinuing the "hard core" offroader in favour of more comfortable and road oriented veichles.

If I remember well the only two front solid axle offroaders actually on the market are Wrangler and Defender
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

And the wrangler wont have a solid front axle for much longer. IFS can give the same and potentially better level of articulation. The aftermarket parts would just be more expensive because of the additional changes in geometry & development cost.

But forget all that, Land Rover sell < 6000 defenders a year while Jeep sell. Where as in 2012...

"Chrysler Group LLC reporting U.S. sales of 16,272. That crushed the previous monthly sales record of 14,461, set in June, 2012. Sales were up 13 percent over May, 2012, which was a record at the time
Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2 ... 6eX8UOg.99"

16,272. In a month.
adventure motox

For the airbags.. they have to restructure the entire car to integrate the technology. I'm sure it can be done but it's probably a mathematical equation as to whether or not it is worth it.

The defender was purpose built on an old platform and the vast majority of Defender sales are for military in various countries.

While BMW used to own LR for a very brief period in time... they no longer do... and while Ford used to own LR after that, they eventually sold them to TATA... which is now what decides the faith of Defender and without the eng of BMW or Ford.

J

pato mwazi;40536 wrote:for the sake of argument....wranglers are sold in the EU...so...cant the same changes be implimented on the defender...airbags...with all that tech...they cant string airbags on it...even Trabant and Lada has airbags and drum brakes both front and back....emissions....just stick in one of those bmw engines they use...or for that matter outsource from ford or something.....
Dave
Advance
Advance

Heard a rumour that a limited number of Defenders at the end of the production run may come with the 5L V8 motor from a Discovery 4 which is good for 400bhp. If that does appear on the market I would be tempted bring it home and keep my Patrol company in my garage. Of course now I am dreaming because I forgot I am married mad my wife wouldn't see the great logic in that idea......:oh noes:
adventure motox

Defender and Patrol... Drool!

I'm actually thrilled that Toyota has locally re-released the sale of the LC 76!!!
You can get the 2015 in the 4 door SUV model now!

Dave;40570 wrote:Heard a rumour that a limited number of Defenders at the end of the production run may come with the 5L V8 motor from a Discovery 4 which is good for 400bhp. If that does appear on the market I would be tempted bring it home and keep my Patrol company in my garage. Of course now I am dreaming because I forgot I am married mad my wife wouldn't see the great logic in that idea......:oh noes:
pato mwazi
Club Member
Club Member

adventure motox;40571 wrote:Defender and Patrol... Drool!

I'm actually thrilled that Toyota has locally re-released the sale of the LC 76!!!
You can get the 2015 in the 4 door SUV model now!
NO WAY...4door?!?!?!?