Which Tires are best for Sand?

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Daggerfall;40115 wrote:Hi.

Does anyone know where can I find cooper HT tires? I am surprised how hard it is to find something online since nobody reads or replies any email I sent to them. It seems like I have to visit all the shops on foot :)

Regards
You are completely right. Off-roading is very tough and mainly in preparation. Whoever thinks that the best solution is to sit in the comfort of A/C controlled room and googling around or just asking the question on all the Forums, without trying to read all the blogs and answers, will stay Newbie forever. On our Forum, the answer to your question was already published...

Or get out to the sun and to the streets in various industrial areas and maybe you'll find your answer there.

And if you give me red thumb down now, for this reply, I would feel delighted :gangs:
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

caprihorse;40120 wrote:You are completely right. Off-roading is very tough and mainly in preparation. Whoever thinks that the best solution is to sit in the comfort of A/C controlled room and googling around or just asking the question on all the Forums, without trying to read all the blogs and answers, will stay Newbie forever. On our Forum, the answer to your question was already published...

Or get out to the sun and to the streets in various industrial areas and maybe you'll find your answer there.

And if you give me red thumb down now, for this reply, I would feel delighted :gangs:
Not at all :)

But before making a wrong judgement about me let me tell you the rest of the story. I have a Kia Sorento, which is not a very common car in Off-Road community in Dubai.

And for the last 4 weeks I am writing ,calling, talking every major company providing off-road equipment and modification service in Dubai. Unfortunately their first reaction was we don't have anything for your car. Even if I found out that there are some parts provided by the manufacturers (I showed them Min 3 available alternative for each item) which they sell their products , videos about how to fix it, manuals etc. they were reluctant to get back to me. I admit that my mistake was assuming that they know the market better than me so they could find the parts that I am looking for faster, maybe cheaper.

And yes I also read the forums but sometimes I found out that the shop that has mentioned does not provide that part anymore or by the time people may have more experience on the subject think differently. So I believe we should refresh our knowledge time to time asking the same fundamental questions and sharing our knowledge.

And I love spending time in outdoor but I do not think that we should waste our time driving from one shop to another on the streets (mostly in heavy traffic) to get the basic information about if the item is available or not or the price ,delivery time etc.

And today I decided to do things by my self and ordered a lift kit , air filter, from an online shop I found and my tires from the shop mentioned below in couple of hours :))

Hope you have a better understanding about me and what I tried to tell. They should at least be capable of replying an email if they are putting as a contact information to their web site.

Best Regards
Hope
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

caprihorse;40119 wrote:I'm sorry to ask you: About what safe limit are you talking? Why 2 inch lifting? Why not just half meter lifting?
Do you really understand what does it mean 265 vs. 275?

Don't believe all the Forums. Before I got Pathfinder, I was going around and checking what others have to say. All Forums were saying (in 2005) that:
  • the best is A/T, explanation was to have a better concentration on dunes driving
  • Pathfinder is not capable for desert at all
  • The best is Landcruiser and just after it super modified Cherokee and then extremely modified Wrangler. Nobody was talking about Patrol as it was domain just for locals
  • If you want to add 275/70R16 tyres, you would need to add spacers, change shocks, remove fenders, remove exhaust, etc. bul****t
  • Do not deflate below 20 psi, even in Liwa with explanation you will need to change your tyre, if you loose air. The term pop-out was not alive at that time. BTW, our club was the first who introduced deflating below 10 psi in off-roading at 2-tons cars...
  • Nobody did know how to fix pop-out and jack and board was not part of the required equipment along with the flag and radio
  • Pressure tyre should be measured by pressure gauge stick or by measuring the distance between body and sand or just by guessing. BTW, our Club was the first who introduced usage of precised pressure gauges and then advanced deflators
By the safe limit. I meant that the tire will not hit the fenders in full compression . Yes I am sure there are a lot of wrong information flowing around those forums and they might be wrong but is there any other way to make a sound decision other than reading as much as you can and try to understand what is the common sense in general to reduce the risk of making a mistake?

I saw that most of the Kia owners use 265/70 claims they did not have any problem so far. I did not see much about other tire sizes so I believe this is the safest choice for me at the moment. Do you have any other suggestion?

Yes I know you guys do not suggest lifting which is reasonable because of its consequences but my car has not much ground clearance like the others ,and suffers from low approach & Dep. angles .(27-28) So again I looked for a solution widely used and tested as much people as possible and Daystar lift kit seems like one. I also found a Kia Sorento user used this kit in this region on dunes etc. without any problem.

So again I am not claiming these are the best solutions but they seem like the safest ones that I found so far because it was tested by some people. Since I dont have a facility to put all options to my car ,test it and replace it with the best one I should start from somewhere.

Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
SINGH
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dear Daggerfall,

I don't know how much is your experience of driving in sand (Nothing offensive) but one and the best answer for all your queries is given in "N" number of forums and that is "Go and Hit the Sand"....

Change tyres within the safe limits and Drive your car in the sand. Try to listen and understand what your car is saying, how it is behaving in different situations, what are its limitations and capabilities and how you can cope up with them without spending or changing anything. You'll come to know yourself with the experience that whether you need to change anything in your car or you need to change your driving style etc etc.....

Yes, you'll get all the expert advises from the Marshals and other ppls.... but even though their best advise always is to drive, drive and drive. You'll get all the answers with your experience.

I have seen so many good drivers who drive the stock cars without any issues. Performances of all the cars is different with various combinations of tyres & Lift kits.... Yes you’ll get some freedom with the lift……But the best is to modify yourself and then you'll come to know what modifications are required to be made on your car.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Daggerfall;40122 wrote:By the safe limit. I meant that the tire will not hit the fenders in full compression . Yes I am sure there are a lot of wrong information flowing around those forums and they might be wrong but is there any other way to make a sound decision other than reading as much as you can and try to understand what is the common sense in general to reduce the risk of making a mistake?

I saw that most of the Kia owners use 265/70 claims they did not have any problem so far. I did not see much about other tire sizes so I believe this is the safest choice for me at the moment. Do you have any other suggestion?

Yes I know you guys do not suggest lifting which is reasonable because of its consequences but my car has not much ground clearance like the others ,and suffers from low approach & Dep. angles .(27-28) So again I looked for a solution widely used and tested as much people as possible and Daystar lift kit seems like one. I also found a Kia Sorento user used this kit in this region on dunes etc. without any problem.

So again I am not claiming these are the best solutions but they seem like the safest ones that I found so far because it was tested by some people. Since I dont have a facility to put all options to my car ,test it and replace it with the best one I should start from somewhere.

Regards
Ok, let me explain to you and probably you didn't read this blog - http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... l-Markings

265 or 275 is the width of the tyre in mm and has nothing to do with the height of the tyre or the whole height and lifting.

Regarding your model we saw such cars like Kia, Hyundai, SangYong in the desert always just once, as the drivers realized, that the car is good enough just to go into the desert over the driven track, not very far from the tarmac, but they can forget it, when it comes for the dunes. Don't take it offensive, these types of the cars are not built for the desert and hardly for the driving to the garden on Sunday, similar to Porsche, Audi, Range Rover or GL500.

If you lift your car by even two meters, your car will never make it to drive any Newbie level on our trips.

Now from the position of my IT experience. Most emails in UAE are just for decoration only and nobody is reading them. Calling is always more reliable method of the communication. On the other hand, if they answer you, we'll call you back, in pure translation it means f***k y*o...