FJ Suspension / Shocks

adventure motox

Hi

Can anyone guide me in the right direction for better suspension on the shock 4x4 version of the FJ.

I'm reading that a lift doesn't give you more clearance, but rather more travel and allows the ability for larger tires which in turn, give you more clearance. Correct?

Anyways, I actually just want something that will handle better on road (no spongy feeling of nose dive and side to side roll) and something that will be more suited off road that will prevent/reduce bottoming out.

Any thoughts?
Looking at Bilsteins 5100 at the moment as a stock upgrade.. looking for other options / possibilities and more education on the topic.

I don't mind a small lift, but do not want to change the dynamic too much nor do i want to rebuild my entire suspension (nor do I have the will to spend that much) and also note this is my daily driver/commuter vehicle as well.

I will eventually change my tires but not for a while... and when I do the size will be similar to stock 31 i believe (correct me if im wrong) and might if anything, do a 33 at most. If that...
fida
Advance
Advance

I would recommend not to do any lifts or change of shocks. The stock suspension is good enough and better than any other substandard shocks. Now if you really want to have a proper suspension then spare some good budget and go for Icon stage 4 or Rodflo which with adjustable options that is an utmost solution for offroad and and equally great on roads. In the end, the choice is yours.
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi,

I have tried two Fj cruisers, the first is stock car not modified and the second is modified by arctic trucks, with fox springs and shocks stage 1, lifted approximately 5.4 cm. As per the attached picture, the upper car is the stock version and the one below is the modified. The approach, ramp and departure angles are slightly bigger with the lifted car. But, keep in mind if you lose back 3 to 4 cm of lift after deflating your tires, then you end up with almost the stock specifications but with deflated tires which is very interesting.

Concern the handling on road, I prefer the one with fox suspension. It is a bit harder and give nice feeling while turning. You feel it more firm like a sedan car rather than a floating boat on road...

Concern tires, if you change the diameter of your tire it will put heavier load on the differential and other parts of the transmission. Instead, leave the diameter as origin but increase the tire width from 265 to 275 with a 16" wheel. Like this your tire still have enough space to travel up and down, you kept the same configuration of engine to ground power transfer, and also you increased the surface between tire/ground which will reduce the pressure on sand. (like the difference between Horse and Camel foot size). Keep in mind if you go for 275 tires you need to make small cuts in the body and better doing it by experienced poeple.

I am very happy with my modified car, I don't feel the lift affecting my daily use of the car. The dynamic is acceptable for daily use. And my tires size (275/70/16) are not that heavy to the car.

I hope this helps :smile-new:

Cheers
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi J.T

Fida's description is correct but might be a little bit expensive. I will share with you my experience. I'm one of the first people who installed Icon stage 4 on an FJ, We had another marshal with Old Man - Nitro sport (From ARB ) had 2.5 inche left for the 275 tyres and he was able to almost all the tricks and climbs I used to do. It is not as comfortable as Icon but with the price of 3K or 4.5K for new FJs, it is an excellent investment. But you need Bump stop too for 500 dhs with instalation.

Best regards

P.S The coil spring should be medium for both front and rare.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Mosalf

Hi there....I started driving with the stock FJ and got used to the car for almost 1year. THen i looked around for guidance and Bu Salem shared his experience with me (Thanks Bu Salem) regarding the lift and drive feel etc.

I went for Lovells becos i had seen Shafiq Jan drive with them and they were really good. I still have them on my truck and dont regret them at all. I am driving with spidertrax spacers on my 276 65 17 scorpion pirelli tyres and enjoying the offroad and on road experience.

As Fida said, keep it stock till you are comfortable with handling on slopes, turning etc....then go for a simple lift..Old Man Emu or Lovells...enjoy your FJ...its a great mechanical marvel and wont let you down. :)
adventure motox

Thanks to everyone who posted. Some of it I already knew and some of the info is very helpful.
[MENTION=1820]fida[/MENTION] Thanks for the advise. Much appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Naturally I wouldn't do anything sub par... As mentioned Toyota made the FJ a great "out-of-box" package.. However I simply find the FJ soft, it depends what you compare it too I suppose.. everyone has a preference.. just like every F1 car is tuned differently.
[MENTION=8718]MOMO[/MENTION] I think you nailed what I'm looking for... As you said the "floating Boat" feeling... Fox Stage 1 being harder on the road which is what I'm looking for and I appreciate the drawings... that represents pretty much what I am looking for... just a bit harder, slight increase in lift / clearance with a touch more travel using 16" or 17" with original diameter tires. Looking at the BF A/T and the Coopers recommended by [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] . I find the tires are probably going to be the most noticeable difference in the sand.

It is a no-brain'er when it came time to drop AED 3000 for an Ohlins rear shock on my off road bike, but with these 4 wheelers there are a lot of factors and options out there...

Thought process continues, no rush, just looking forward to a tighter ride.

Thank You all and if there are any more suggestions, keep them coming!

JT
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

FYI .... I always recommend COOPER H/T for FJ
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have BF tires on my FJ and agree with what Bu Salem saying, if you change your tires go for Cooper. Because I am a bit struggling in sand with BF. I am deflating them recently to 7psi and I feel they are suffering.
adventure motox

alshamsi_m;39675 wrote:FYI .... I always recommend COOPER H/T for FJ

Thanks! Those seem like a very good replacement for the "stock" Dunlop tires.

However for something a little more "off-road" would you advise against the Cooper A/T series?

J
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Let us make it simple

Most sand/ little rocks : Cooper H/T
Medium rocks/ Medium sand : Cooper AT3 , BF A/T
Most rocks / little sand : Cooper STT
Owner's choice or budget : chose what you think is the right for you.