From zero to hero

mohannadAs
Club Member
Club Member

Gday everybody ,this is my first thread here (hope not the last)
ok lets start with it
see am a big fan of the heavy chevy rigs especially the 73-91 suburban so i was on the hunt for a specific model and feature I Was looking for GMC suburban 88-91 (TBI fuel injection ) 4X4 of course and it should be V2500 with front rigid suspension after almost a year of sliding under each burban I saw to check for the suspension I found my beauty :in love:

well its 1991 GMC suburban SLE
engine is 350 TBI (5700 cc) small block
transmission is 4L80
4X4 with auto lock hubs ( to be replaced with new mile marker manual hubs very soon)
4.10 : 1 diff ratio
cruise control
power locks , window
front and rear central AC
rear barn doors
front bench seat ( great for sleeping over instead of a tent :yo !:)

I know it looks rough and tons of job is waiting for me but it was worth it so i start the bargain to buy it and i took it to her new home

first thing i started is to check for current status and available options
if yo are a GMC fan then you must know where to start of course i went directly to the RPO code sticker in the glove box

each code represent a factory option and each code have a 3 digit code and on the net you can get a decoder for example
z71 = offroad package
gt5 = 4:10 differential ratio
and so on
so my burb (nick name JALMOOD :gangs:) was perfect it was a KSA imported with heavy duty cooling system and fully loaded with front and rear AC and every power option ,rare quad shock absorber in the front .... i was happy to start with such a plate form
started the normal maintenance through a brake rotors and drums all around ,tune up, ignition coils

now lets start with the body job of course new grill rear tail lights and some modification for the roof rack for future plans [CENTER]to be continued[/CENTER]
mohannadAs
Club Member
Club Member

sorry for the links as I have some issues uploading the pics
there are after the paint

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q70 ... eef4ce.jpg
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q70 ... a8220b.jpg
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q70 ... ec9b22.jpg

ok ok ok
after the full body paint i start some major job like overhauling the transmission which is 4L80 and its the only year of the burb to come with this amazing tranny (by the way some ferraris and jags used the same tranny in their fancy cars)
I also overhauled the engine and changed all engine sensors till i manually checked the the all the OBD codes and the drivetrain is in perfect mechanical condition ( zero codes) what an accomplishment considering the age of the JALMOOD and availability of parts
muhtar

Wow...

Good to see another old school here... I love old cars, specifically pre-1985 Mercs... I had one W123 back home, lovely piece of machine...
Please keep us updated, I wanna see this beauty all the way. Also on the sand if you are considering to take her...
FSL

good job... :like:

keep us updated.