lifting a Patrol Safari

Pisco11
Club Member
Club Member

Hi all,
New to the site and UAE for that matter. Will be taking delivery on a 2015 4 door Nissan Patrol Safari this week. I am learning that adding after-market stuff like a lift kit and bull bar is difficult or not legal. But I see them. What is going on around here?
Pisco
Dave
Advance
Advance

Hi Pisco11, welcome to the club and welcome to the UAE! I can understand your confusion over lift kits, bull bars etc as the rules here are not so "black and "white" and also a lot of the rules are bent until the 4x4 is due it's yearly RTA (Roads & Transport Authority) inspection and the original parts are strapped back on just for the day of testing!

In the last 6 years I have had two new y61 SWB Patrols and both have been subjected to a two and a half inch lift kit to accommodate either 33" or 35" tyres. I have also had a bull bar installed in my previous Patrol to mount spot lights onto. My warranty at Nissan was upheld and I had no problems with the RTA testing at any time. If you go for an approved steel bumper that is also ok (eg ARB) but other non approved bars have failed the test. In this case there are garages out there that keep stock bumpers and swap them for the day to get the 4x4 through the test.

If you lift higher than two and a half inches you start to run into warranty issues and anyhow the higher you go the more chance you stand of having a roll over in the desert! My advice would be stick to a 2-2.5" lift if you plan on larger tyres, otherwise no lift at all is ok, good shocks and keep the factory bumper as a skid plate is a better investment for the dunes. I currently run 35" tyres and I wish I had stayed at 33" as it has adjusted my gearing making acceleration on the dunes difficult!

The police are clamping down on noise and engine mods, so stay away from turbo's and performance exhausts. If caught, you could find your car impounded!

Good luck with your new Nissan. See you on the dunes!
Pisco11
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks Dave. ARB bull bars are "approved?" The guy at ARB told me that the cops are stopping vehicles with them on and fining them 500 AED? I wasn't going to go higher than 2" on the lift. I get the gearing... I had a F150 Supercrew back home with a 6" lift and 35's. Had to re-gear it.
I will run it stock for a least 6 months anyway...Can't wait to get out there!
adventure motox

Are they impounding over any performance exhaust or just the over excessive ones with decibels out of the rated range???
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

One of the guys here is driving an XFR with one of the loudest exhausts ive ever come across. You'd have to be a bit unlucky to get stopped.
zeemmee

Patrol's get pulled over quiet often, due their popularity in this region. [MENTION=9809]Pisco11[/MENTION] If you don't intend to go for Arb bumper with lift kits & bash plate, just chop the corners of the Oem bumper. I have seen plenty of patrols & prado's with such mod.It will do the Job.