HEMI 6.1L in Dodge Ram 1500 Truck....

Detox

Right, so I am starting to toy with the idea of dropping a 6.1L HEMI in my truck...
It has been done before so I know it fits the truck and existing transmission...

This would essentially make the Dodge a 4x4 SRT8!!!!

Is that wise or crazy!!!!
Duli

Hi Detox,

would you really need all that power in a car that already has all the power you need?? :059:
Detox;37918 wrote:Right, so I am starting to toy with the idea of dropping a 6.1L HEMI in my truck...
It has been done before so I know it fits the truck and existing transmission...

This would essentially make the Dodge a 4x4 SRT8!!!!

Is that wise or crazy!!!!
Dave
Advance
Advance

I had looked at upgrading my old Patrol with a 4.8 VTC engine. Done right, including the ECU it would have cost just under Dhs 30k. In the end it made more sense just to sell my old car and buy one that came with the engine I actually wanted. I traded in my 5 year old Patrol, parted with Dhs 40k and got a brand new car.

Any mods we do to our cars will seem crazy to others. At the end of the day, if the upgrade puts a smile on your face and you don't mind parting with the cash then why not!
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

Meh i believe you can never have enough power . The more The merrier :D
zeemmee

Dave;37920 wrote:I had looked at upgrading my old Patrol with a 4.8 VTC engine. Done right, including the ECU it would have cost just under Dhs 30k. In the end it made more sense just to sell my old car and buy one that came with the engine I actually wanted. I traded in my 5 year old Patrol, parted with Dhs 40k and got a brand new car.

Any mods we do to our cars will seem crazy to others. At the end of the day, if the upgrade puts a smile on your face and you don't mind parting with the cash then why not!
& after the Head ache & precious money spent, it would be hard to sell the vehicle. Because mostly used car buyers don't pay for modifications, so keep them limited or stock.
Detox

Defragmantor;37925 wrote:Meh i believe you can never have enough power . The more The merrier :D
Totally agree.... besides the Dodge Ram never came with a 6.1 engine... not to mention in a 4x4 configuration!!!
That makes the vehicle extremely unique....

Cash is always the challenge as it needs to be spent wisely.... But with this new engine the truck would be no where near the price of a new (under powered ) truck..
Detox

There has also been some projects where the 6.1L Hemi made it into some Jeeps :grin:....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2038[/ATTACH]
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Best engine upgrade for RAM is to go for SRT10, as the 8.3-Liter Viper V-10 engine under the hood churns out over 500 horsepower and 525 lb.-ft. of torque. The Ram SRT10 dashes from 0-60 in just under five seconds.
http://www.drivesrt.com/heritage/ram-srt10/
Detox

Great point Yasir.. and I have looked into this... the challenge here is that the gearbox will need changing and that engine setup wont work in a 4x4 Automatic configuration.
There is a 6.4 HEMI to consider which goes beyond 500 BHP but the amount of changes will be significant.

The 6.1L with my truck bolts straight on to the tranny and electronics would still work...
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

[MENTION=7860]Detox[/MENTION] Have you considered adding something else to your current engine rather than an engine swap ? maybe turbocharge or supercharge the engine ???