advice needed on tyres and other mods?

Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

Sacha;36396 wrote:A 2.5" teraflex lift with fox shocks is a great option as suggested by Abu Jimmy. But be wary, as you will need a front axel reinforcement for sure. If you go with the 35" tyres you will likely want to re-gear so get back the power you lost. Its an expensive and never ending road to go down....but fun!

As to Dealer Warranty, I have considerable more modifications than that and they have not voided my warranty through two services. Maybe I am luck or maybe my service rep is just cool.
Hmm is rehearing hard/expensive to do ? about the dealer i asked around 3 service representative and they all told me the same thing, which is if i changed anything regarding the drivetrain in any garage then they would void the warranty, I don't know if it is worth it or not to do that.
strawb;36398 wrote:If your planning to run stock sahara rims there might be a risk of slight rubbing of the rear interior of the tire and the rear sway bar link
From what was i told by a guy working in AEV that they will install wheel spacers, would that fix the issue ?
Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;36401 wrote:I didn't speak about millimetres, but about half metre, as I don't advice any Newbie on lifting ...
haha you seem kind of annoyed by all this lifting business :p. well i don't know which category i would be in,but when i go to the desert i see lots of people with lifted jeeps surely they can't be all experts and as i said that i want to put bigger tyres and unfortunately that one of the requirements is lifting the car. I don't want to spend money on stock tyres to later on decide to change to a bigger one. because i even read putting 33"s would also rub on stock lift.

So in your opinion you think lifting the car has more disadvantage ?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unleashed_lee;36409 wrote:haha you seem kind of annoyed by all this lifting business :p. well i don't know which category i would be in,but when i go to the desert i see lots of people with lifted jeeps surely they can't be all experts and as i said that i want to put bigger tyres and unfortunately that one of the requirements is lifting the car. I don't want to spend money on stock tyres to later on decide to change to a bigger one. because i even read putting 33"s would also rub on stock lift.

I saw also many lifted cars ... on the roof... They all were not experts, but some of them have been. I'm not saying that lifting shall not be done, this is individual decision by expert, to do it on his own car. If you want to improve the tyres, make them just wider, keeping the same size of the rim, 15" or max 16". Then you don't need to lift and you will not have rubbing, unless you decide on jumping instead of driving.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

strawb;36398 wrote:If your planning to run stock sahara rims there might be a risk of slight rubbing of the rear interior of the tire and the rear sway bar link
You are right Strawb , The original Sahara wheels are 17x7.5 and they may rub under extreme circumstances , Wheel spacers 0.75" or an after market 17x9" will solve this issue.
What goes around , comes around .
Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

Abu Jimmy;36435 wrote:You are right Strawb , The original Sahara wheels are 17x7.5 and they may rub under extreme circumstances , Wheel spacers 0.75" or an after market 17x9" will solve this issue.
Thanks abu jimmy for your input, so the conclusion is cooper is a better choice then bfgoodrich and 275/70/r17 is around 33" ?
I will ask about the regearing and the other mods.

It seems this topic is very touchy with the "experts" lol.
Sacha
Intermediate
Intermediate

caprihorse;36388 wrote:Yes it was answered already many times, mainly how important is for Newbie to lift the car and to use as big tyres as possible.

On the other hand from where is coming the number 2.5"? For a fresh desert driver it's not enough, it should be 0.5m in front and at least 0.75m in the back [m unit stands for metres]...
I think we have a winner

[video=youtube;1nrq5LieJPk][/video]
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unleashed_lee;36443 wrote:Thanks abu jimmy for your input, so the conclusion is cooper is a better choice then bfgoodrich and 275/70/r17 is around 33" ?
I will ask about the regearing and the other mods.

It seems this topic is very touchy with the "experts" lol.
Cooper is NOT better than BFG's.

Ive run them both and both have their pros and cons.

It all boils down to budget and end user preference
Alok708

Unleashed_lee;36409 wrote:haha you seem kind of annoyed by all this lifting business :p. well i don't know which category i would be in,but when i go to the desert i see lots of people with lifted jeeps surely they can't be all experts and as i said that i want to put bigger tyres and unfortunately that one of the requirements is lifting the car. I don't want to spend money on stock tyres to later on decide to change to a bigger one. because i even read putting 33"s would also rub on stock lift.

Dear Lee,

Just to put Comments from Caprihorse in correct perspective, what he really means is that as a newbie one needs to first focus on enhancing one's own skills. Later as you gain experience you would be in a better position to decide what mods (including lifting) you need to go for, if at all. While lifting the car might offer immediate benefits, especially in terms of ease of driving over dunes, however it doesnot come without its set of cons. The key concern being that lifting the car raises its centre of gravity and hence makes it more prone to roll-over which is a serious safely hazard that is unfortunately not very uncommon in the desert driving. So if safety (of yourself and fellow drivers) ranks high on your agenda, perhaps you might want to rethink about lifting your rig early into journey towards becoming a proficient off-roader.

However at the same time it surely remains your call. Friends at the forum are happy to share their experiences and knowledge with the right intent in their heart. You would naturally find conflicting advises / suggestions sometimes, which itself is a healthy sign. Ultimately it is for you to decide for yourself.

All the best. Take care.
Hassanz

Hi guys need your advise, I have been looking for tyres for my FJ. I was looking for something between ballon and normal offroading tyres amazingly found a brand Shaheen Sumitomo tyres (made in japan). i love the tyres how they look, need to know if you have any past experience or advise regarding these tyres.

Below is the link regarding the tyres.

http://sumitomotiresuae.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=43
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hassanz;36631 wrote:Hi guys need your advise, I have been looking for tyres for my FJ. I was looking for something between ballon and normal offroading tyres amazingly found a brand Shaheen Sumitomo tyres (made in japan). i love the tyres how they look, need to know if you have any past experience or advise regarding these tyres.

Below is the link regarding the tyres.

http://sumitomotiresuae.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=43
We had earlier discussion here - http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... Siam-Tires