advice needed on tyres and other mods?

Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

Hello everyone this is a long post!

Im currently in a situation where i think i would need to change my tyres, my car is a Jeep sahara 2012 2DR with stock tyres.
I was wondering which would be a good replacement ? I heard good things about BFGoodrich, but i don't want anything that is too noisy so I heard that All terrain are better?

also I am very tempted to get 35"s, but with all my research about doing that induced headaches and confusion to me. First I know the car needs to be lifted at least 2.5", needs spacers and maybe axle reinforcement since i read many situations where it would bend if driven hard, but i don't know if this applies to the desert

The dilemma is should i just change the tyre to the same stock size 245/70/R17 or go bigger? and if i go bigger would it be a disadvantage for driving in the desert since the car would be lifted and I would potentially loss power ?

My reasoning for a lift and bigger tyres are a mix of looks and somehow i feel the Jeep is too low and the tyres when deflated are not that wide.

Sorry if this was answered somewhere or asked many times.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unleashed_lee;36387 wrote:Hello everyone this is a long post!

Im currently in a situation where i think i would need to change my tyres, my car is a Jeep sahara 2012 2DR with stock tyres.
I was wondering which would be a good replacement ? I heard good things about BFGoodrich, but i don't want anything that is too noisy so I heard that All terrain are better?

also I am very tempted to get 35"s, but with all my research about doing that induced headaches and confusion to me. First I know the car needs to be lifted at least 2.5", needs spacers and maybe axle reinforcement since i read many situations where it would bend if driven hard, but i don't know if this applies to the desert

The dilemma is should i just change the tyre to the same stock size 245/70/R17 or go bigger? and if i go bigger would it be a disadvantage for driving in the desert since the car would be lifted and I would potentially loss power ?

My reasoning for a lift and bigger tyres are a mix of looks and somehow i feel the Jeep is too low and the tyres when deflated are not that wide.

Sorry if this was answered somewhere or asked many times.
Yes it was answered already many times, mainly how important is for Newbie to lift the car and to use as big tyres as possible.

On the other hand from where is coming the number 2.5"? For a fresh desert driver it's not enough, it should be 0.5m in front and at least 0.75m in the back [m unit stands for metres]...
Muhittin

caprihorse;36388 wrote:it should be 0.5m in front and at least 0.75m in the back [m unit stands for metres]...
Caprihorse,,, good morning,,, do you have an idea about the legal lifting limit in UAE? 50mm & 75mm still within the range and not going to be penalized?

Regards.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Best comp. is the 2.5" teraflex lift with Fox shocks teamed up with 275/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Yokohama Geolander AT-S .
What goes around , comes around .
Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

I see, well I will try to find those threads, the reason for the 2.5" lift is that anything above it I would have to change many things in the car and I don't I don't want the hassle.
Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;36388 wrote:Yes it was answered already many times, mainly how important is for Newbie to lift the car and to use as big tyres as possible.

On the other hand from where is coming the number 2.5"? For a fresh desert driver it's not enough, it should be 0.5m in front and at least 0.75m in the back [m unit stands for metres]...
I see, well I will try to find those threads, the reason for the 2.5" lift is that anything above it I would have to change many things in the car and I don't want the hassle
Unleashed_lee
Club Member
Club Member

Abu Jimmy;36390 wrote:Best comp. is the 2.5" teraflex lift with Fox shocks teamed up with 275/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Yokohama Geolander AT-S .
I was thinking of that setup, any shops you recommend?
The problem is if I install anything out of the dealer warranty will be voided :/
Sacha
Intermediate
Intermediate

Unleashed_lee;36387 wrote:
A 2.5" teraflex lift with fox shocks is a great option as suggested by Abu Jimmy. But be wary, as you will need a front axel reinforcement for sure. If you go with the 35" tyres you will likely want to re-gear so get back the power you lost. Its an expensive and never ending road to go down....but fun!

As to Dealer Warranty, I have considerable more modifications than that and they have not voided my warranty through two services. Maybe I am luck or maybe my service rep is just cool.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Abu Jimmy;36390 wrote:Best comp. is the 2.5" teraflex lift with Fox shocks teamed up with 275/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 or Yokohama Geolander AT-S .

If your planning to run stock sahara rims there might be a risk of slight rubbing of the rear interior of the tire and the rear sway bar link
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Muhittin;36389 wrote:Caprihorse,,, good morning,,, do you have an idea about the legal lifting limit in UAE? 50mm & 75mm still within the range and not going to be penalized?

Regards.
I didn't speak about millimetres, but about half metre, as I don't advice any Newbie on lifting ...