Wrangler diff lock- or not

admin

hi Cass

first of all congrats for your new JEEP in advance

about the lockers ( diff lock ) more than 90% of jeeper didn't have lockers except jeepers whos going to rock crawling & wadis

new wranglers have clutch in side diff tube to help jeeps in some stuck position also you can use hand break to be semi lock in some stuck position

but in general Jeep in SAND + good USER = dont need lockers

this my opinion & lets see our member what they say
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

ALKHATIB;36148 wrote:hi Cass

first of all congrats for your new JEEP in advance

about the lockers ( diff lock ) more than 90% of jeeper didn't have lockers except jeepers whos going to rock crawling & wadis

new wranglers have clutch in side diff tube to help jeeps in some stuck position also you can use hand break to be semi lock in some stuck position

but in general Jeep in SAND + good USER = dont need lockers

this my opinion & lets see our member what they say
:like: when the Wrangler " Guru " speaks .....:thumbsup:
What goes around , comes around .
Muhittin

once I found this youtube,,, I hope it would be helpful,,,

[video=youtube_share;G9AbWnRQCac][/video]

Regards.
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

My Jeep came stock with only the LSD in the rear diff.

After about 1 1/2 years i changed the diff gear ratios as i really didn't like the stock ratio. While the diff was "open" i decided to add a rear ARB diff lock.
It is expensive and completely unnecessary, but considering the total cost of doing just the gears compared to the gears & locker.... i went all the way.
The locker is about $1000...... i already had an appropriate compressor.

Does it drive better? - YES, but not where i thought it would. See below
Does it prevent stucks? - possibly.
Does it help get unstuck? - probably not.
Is it worth it? - probably not.....

The most noticeable change to the drive is while side cresting. It "drifts" better and more predictable. Before the rear would dance about. I can only put this down to the diff allowing an "airborne" wheel to spin and the other to get zero drive.

It is impossible to say "do it" or "don't". It is very expensive and not necessary...... but guys spend so much money on they Jeeps in areas that make ZERO driving difference, like bumpers, hoods, upgraded radios, etc, etc, etc

The diff lock does potentially make the Jeep more capable from a driving prospective. It is your call.....
I love mine and would do it again, all being the same.
I however don't think i would justify the expense if i was just installing a locker...... without gears.

If you have any questions, call me....

Regards
Paul
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Cass

The only time you will get stuck, when a diff lock may help you get unstuck or have prevented it all together is when you get two diagonally opposite wheels airborne or "light" enough to not grip.

The 2 diffs will do what they are supposed to and turn your 4x4 Jeep into a ZEROx4 Jeep and you will have no drive.

You can get this when going diagonally over a dune.....too slowly.

All you need is a little speed and anticipation and you can go over, even with your foot on the clutch.... like a roller coaster.

Traction, power, speed and inertia are all things to get used to while out in the sand.
Have fun with your new JK.

Regards
Paul
Adnan
Advance
Advance

Thanks Paul, Al Khatib for such informative inputs.
And dear Cass I'd add that you will not be happy and interest in your drive unless you have the right skills of hearing the integrated sounds of your machine. You need to recognise the harmony of your gear and engine sounds, give your ears to those sounds while driving in every situation I.e.side slopping drifting ridges cutting climbing .... then you will definitely feel your machine and will mastering it to the maximum.
I don't recommend to rush into mods, just drive it stock and by time you'll find out what you need to add or modify once you get fully familiar with your vehicle ability and capabilities to stand with.