Manual VS Automatic Gear Box

Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

MOMOBELGI;34465 wrote:Thank you all for your advises and point of views. My choice is heading the Fj Cruiser 2014 basic range manual gear box which comes with dual fuel tank and bigger inside space comparing to the Jeep Wrangler for the same price range.

Any comment comparing these two cars ?
Try to test drive the cars 1st..I heard that FJ manual is not as good as the auto..double check
Mohamed
Club Member
Club Member

Hello every body

Manual is the best for on/off road, almost no problems, even if you have a problem with it you can take off on one of other speeds, for example if you have a problem with 1st you can go with 2 even 3rd but in auto trans, first problem you gonna face is the trans temp :melt: you cant drive and enjoy with a trans it controlled it self by it self that's the big headache with auto trans

I had TJ 97 auto now im driving TJ 2006 auto trans too:sick: I bought it because its in mint condition, now im planning to come to U.A.E to install a manual 5 speed do you think the manual 5 speed which coming on TJ 2004 can fit on my TJ 2006?
Guys if you know something about that let me know:032:
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mazaaj;34487 wrote:Try to test drive the cars 1st..I heard that FJ manual is not as good as the auto..double check
Thanks Mazaaj, what do you think of the wrangler manual g.b.?
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Mohamed;34491 wrote:Hello every body

Manual is the best for on/off road, almost no problems, even if you have a problem with it you can take off on one of other speeds, for example if you have a problem with 1st you can go with 2 even 3rd but in auto trans, first problem you gonna face is the trans temp :melt: you cant drive and enjoy with a trans it controlled it self by it self that's the big headache with auto trans

I had TJ 97 auto now im driving TJ 2006 auto trans too:sick: I bought it because its in mint condition, now im planning to come to U.A.E to install a manual 5 speed do you think the manual 5 speed which coming on TJ 2004 can fit on my TJ 2006?
Guys if you know something about that let me know:032:
Its possible to fix the 5 speed manual on your TJ 2006 nonetheless there is a lot of points to be considered while doing the transformation process :-
-The 2004 manual 5 speed transmission is very rare & expensive ( around 5 to 6 k)
-There is a lot of work to be done on car ( pedals , shifters , harness change or modification , CPM change ...etc. )
- you really need to find all the parts & a very good mechanic .

Good luck .
What goes around , comes around .
AHMAD4X4
Club Member
Club Member

I think the guys have said more than enough.. manual transmission rules during offroading... I have tried both auto and manual, manual has a much better control over the car during offroading but you have to get used to shifting while driving in such terrain (not like auto just shift once and pay attention to the terrain)... in addition, the cost of maintaining a manual transmission (changing clutch, clutch oil, etc...) is higher than a properly utilized auto transmission.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

AHMAD4X4;34547 wrote:I think the guys have said more than enough.. manual transmission rules during offroading... I have tried both auto and manual, manual has a much better control over the car during offroading but you have to get used to shifting while driving in such terrain (not like auto just shift once and pay attention to the terrain)... in addition, the cost of maintaining a manual transmission (changing clutch, clutch oil, etc...) is higher than a properly utilized auto transmission.
Almost correct regarding driving, just small corrections:
  • with M/T you don't need to shift much (in majority cases between 1 and 2), but just be sure, that you have the right gear at the right place, where @A/T the computer 'knows better' and is shifting on your behalf, in 90% wrongly
  • once A/T is overheated, the car will refuse to move, M/T will go
  • once you burn the clutch at M/T you are done
  • the maintenance cost for M/T is significantly lower (oil @60K, clutch @60K), at A/T every 30K oil, filter and gasket
  • M/T by construction is significantly simpler as A/T, therefore the cost of repair is lower by 50%; A/T has also clutches (many small mechanically complicated metallic pieces)
  • once you need to replace the whole box @ A/T it comes triple price compared with M/T
fida
Advance
Advance

MOMOBELGI;34465 wrote:Thank you all for your advises and point of views. My choice is heading the Fj Cruiser 2014 basic range manual gear box which comes with dual fuel tank and bigger inside space comparing to the Jeep Wrangler for the same price range.

Any comment comparing these two cars ?
Excellent Choice
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

caprihorse;34548 wrote:Almost correct regarding driving, just small corrections:
  • with M/T you don't need to shift much (in majority cases between 1 and 2), but just be sure, that you have the right gear at the right place, where @A/T the computer 'knows better' and is shifting on your behalf, in 90% wrongly
  • once A/T is overheated, the car will refuse to move, M/T will go
  • once you burn the clutch at M/T you are done
  • the maintenance cost for M/T is significantly lower (oil @60K, clutch @60K), at A/T every 30K oil, filter and gasket
  • M/T by construction is significantly simpler as A/T, therefore the cost of repair is lower by 50%; A/T has also clutches (many small mechanically complicated metallic pieces)
  • once you need to replace the whole box @ A/T it comes triple price compared with M/T
Thanks Caprihorse,
If we would like to compare 3 cars with M/T, Nissan Patrol, Jeep Wrangler and FJ Cruiser, in which order you would rank them (regarding the transmission reliability and smoothness) ?

Regards,
Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

MOMOBELGI;34550 wrote:Thanks Caprihorse,
If we would like to compare 3 cars with M/T, Nissan Patrol, Jeep Wrangler and FJ Cruiser, in which order you would rank them (regarding the transmission reliability and smoothness) ?

Regards,
I had a nissan patrol 4.5 2010..in traffic the clutch gets overheated quite fast and the gear ratio is very short but I think the 4.8 have a different gear ratio..check with Bu Salim..it means usually I start the car on 2nd gear..with my wrangler i never faced this issue in traffic or even in off-roading..I have no experience with FJ but I heard that the manual has very short gear
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mazaaj;34551 wrote:I had a nissan patrol 4.5 2010..in traffic the clutch gets overheated quite fast and the gear ratio is very short but I think the 4.8 have a different gear ratio..check with Bu Salim..it means usually I start the car on 2nd gear..with my wrangler i never faced this issue in traffic or even in off-roading..I have no experience with FJ but I heard that the manual has very short gear
FJ Manual has 1st gear very long, up to 60 km/h, but it is 4WD full time.
Patrol 4.5 was not very successful model, therefore Nissan came out with 4.8L model.