Manual VS Automatic Gear Box

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

MOMOBELGI;34550 wrote:Thanks Caprihorse,
If we would like to compare 3 cars with M/T, Nissan Patrol, Jeep Wrangler and FJ Cruiser, in which order you would rank them (regarding the transmission reliability and smoothness) ?

Regards,
You cannot ask like this, transmission is part of the complex mechanical and electronic configuration. It can be done just overall judgment, where also subjective factors play key role, but still different cars behave differently in the hands of different people.

1. Patrol, 4.8L
  2. Wrangler Pentastar
  3. FJ
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Apart from all the other factors mentioned earlier.. each car feels different. I very much liked the Cherokee 5 speed M/T, but I loath the TJ 6 speed M/T. We're talking the same engine here, a 4.0L 6cylinders, but the way the shifting fits with the driving experience of the vehicle is very important too.. Since you're going to be driving for "Fun" you might as well make sure the shifting is to your liking. My very very old and dead 1992 Cherokee was a pain to drive, mainly because the clutch was very hard. The 1997 Cherokee is way easier. The TJ's clutch feels weird, and the stick shift is too high for my preference..

Drive it first and judge.. to me your hand and feet should move smoothly, some combinations aren't that fun to drive, when on the dunes, I don't want to wrestle with a heavy clutch or an excessively long shift stick..
delta83
Advance
Advance

well i can safely say Nissan Patrol clutch is reliable (4.5 L ), it is 2007 model, am sure previous owner took it offroad, i drove it 2 years heavy offroading , the clutch was half way gone and still kept going even in Liwa, i changed it recently and it is smooth ,
in traffic i start on second gear coz first gear has a high torque ratio so the Patrol will jump
now driving in desert is totally different, as mentioned by Capri and DL, each car react differently and it is a combination of clutch, gear, differential ratio ...
just need to learn how the car behave and drive it accordingly
for ex, the patrol 4.5 L is a first gear car if you are in a trouble situation, if need a speed then use second gear and rpm above 3000
at the end it is 2014 model regardless the brand, so i assume it should be somehow reliable :)
delta83
Advance
Advance

forgot to mention that a friend on mine he burned his 2013 Patrol 4.8L clutch in the first 5K , he used to drive @ 20 PSi in sweihan !!! obviously user errors