15" rims on JK Sahara

desert_jellyfish

Good morning guys!

wanted to share with you one of my weirdest experiences and hopefully get your expert feedback....i own a 2012 JK sahara which comes stock with 17" rims and Goodyear Wrangler 245/75R17 tyres. Since my tyres life has come to a close end, i purchased BFG A/Ts 33x12.5xR15 on 15x10 gt wheels. Looking mean and vicious i went to mount them on my car, unfortunately...they wouldn't fit on the front. The rear ones were fine as the calipers in the back are smaller, but the front rims would not go in as the brake calipers began rubbing on the inside of the rims :s

now you might say of course you can't fit 15" rims in place of 17" rims and to that i say i know people who have with no problem at all.

so my question is, is there someone out there who has run into this problem? If yes, please help! would greatly appreciate a conversation with the marshalls on this weekend's drive
desert_jellyfish

Just a quick update....in case anyone is interested.....i drive an automatic which turns out that it comes with bigger front brake calipers than the manual
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

M0K11;33775 wrote:Just a quick update....in case anyone is interested.....i drive an automatic which turns out that it comes with bigger front brake calipers than the manual
Unfortunately , the above information is false ..:whut: , both auto & manual are equipped with same calipers . ( for each edition )

The rims you have purchased will fit perfectly on the " sport " edition no matter auto or manual , JK or JKU ( unlimited ) but they will not fit on the " Sahara " edition .

The Sahara has bigger calipers due to the E.D.S " electronic descent system " option which is not available for the Sport edition . as a result the 15x10 rims will not fit even with wheel spacers. your only option as I believe is to stick with your current wheels .
What goes around , comes around .
desert_jellyfish

Abu Jimmy;33776 wrote:The Sahara has bigger calipers due to the E.D.S " electronic descent system " option
thank you for the clarification Abu Jimmy, much appreciated!
Abu Jimmy;33776 wrote: your only option as I believe is to stick with your current wheels
that is what i have decided with; wear out the current tyres and when a replacement is needed, i will look out for BFG All-Terrains to fit on a 17" rim....the only question that comes here is, the size. What is the best size that will fit a stock setting (no lift kit, stock fenders) without being a hassle and rubbing while turning or when deflating? On the other hand, i might consider going down to 16" rims if they fit...
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

What is the current tyre size you are running ?
desert_jellyfish

Goodyear Wrangler 245/75R17
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

265 / 70 r17
desert_jellyfish

Abu Jimmy...I cannot express my gratitude enough!

if I'm not mistaken, any 17" rims can wear these tires and fit on the car as well, correct?
Mohammad
Advance
Advance

I had the same issue in my 2013 Sahara and fixed 285/70/R17 and changed the rims to 9"..
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Mohammad;33977 wrote:I had the same issue in my 2013 Sahara and fixed 285/70/R17 and changed the rims to 9"..
Was the car stock or lifted ? with stock suspension I think such size will rub the fenders while hard core off-roading .