Modification vs Registration

FrancisJK
Intermediate
Intermediate

I’ll make this short and sweet. It’s another time of the year where I have to register my Jeep Wrangler JK (it’s my first time to register this under my possession). I have some modifications like warn metal bumper with 4” HID lamps x 2, 4 inch lift kit, 17” rims with 33’s, reinforced axle, Borla dual exhaust (not loud) and ALMOST 4x4 Off Road Club sticker… I think that would be it.

My questions are do you think I will pass the RTA vehicle testing here in Dubai? Do you know any Dubai branch which are not that strict with these modifications? Have you experienced any of this before & how you manage to pass. My registration will expire next week and I desperately need your advice. Thank you in advance & drive safely.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi francis .... send me a bbm msg and we can discuss

Cheers
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

FrancisJK;33714 wrote:I’ll make this short and sweet. It’s another time of the year where I have to register my Jeep Wrangler JK (it’s my first time to register this under my possession). I have some modifications like warn metal bumper with 4” HID lamps x 2, 4 inch lift kit, 17” rims with 33’s, reinforced axle, Borla dual exhaust (not loud) and ALMOST 4x4 Off Road Club sticker… I think that would be it.

My questions are do you think I will pass the RTA vehicle testing here in Dubai? Do you know any Dubai branch which are not that strict with these modifications? Have you experienced any of this before & how you manage to pass. My registration will expire next week and I desperately need your advice. Thank you in advance & drive safely.
RTA will love your car when looking at it :thumbsup:. In general, for years, every time I was passing through with my car, I was replacing the bumper with standard one, just to be sure. They didn't care about stickers at all, I had plenty of them.
Fat Rabbit

FrancisJK;33714 wrote:I’ll make this short and sweet. It’s another time of the year where I have to register my Jeep Wrangler JK (it’s my first time to register this under my possession). I have some modifications like warn metal bumper with 4” HID lamps x 2, 4 inch lift kit, 17” rims with 33’s, reinforced axle, Borla dual exhaust (not loud) and ALMOST 4x4 Off Road Club sticker… I think that would be it.

Last year I had a problem with the stickers on my Wrangler, I had to remove them (just 2 though). This year it passed without any issues. I had the almost4x4 sticker on the rear. The bumbers on the other hand, I am told, have to be the stock bumpers that came with the vehicle. The only metal ones they allow far passing are those that came as stock on the vehicle. For example, TJ stock bumpers are metal, so passing for me is fine. I would take Capri's advice and switch bumpers for passing.

I also have 4 offroad lights on my TJ. Last year they asked me to remove them for passing. This year they passed it without incident. So try you luck with the lights I would say.

Hope this helps.
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
FrancisJK
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fat Rabbit;33717 wrote:Last year I had a problem with the stickers on my Wrangler, I had to remove them (just 2 though). This year it passed without any issues. I had the almost4x4 sticker on the rear. The bumbers on the other hand, I am told, have to be the stock bumpers that came with the vehicle. The only metal ones they allow far passing are those that came as stock on the vehicle. For example, TJ stock bumpers are metal, so passing for me is fine. I would take Capri's advice and switch bumpers for passing.

I also have 4 offroad lights on my TJ. Last year they asked me to remove them for passing. This year they passed it without incident. So try you luck with the lights I would say.

Hope this helps.
Couple of years ago my friend went through vehicle inspection and they failed him because of sticker smaller than Almost 4x4 sticker. But it's good to know fingers crossed they are ok with that now. Thanks Fat Rabbit for the help.
caprihorse;33716 wrote:RTA will love your car when looking at it :thumbsup:. In general, for years, every time I was passing through with my car, I was replacing the bumper with standard one, just to be sure. They didn't care about stickers at all, I had plenty of them.
Thanks Chief Caprihorse I will surely consider your advice.
strawb;33715 wrote:Hi francis .... send me a bbm msg and we can discuss

Cheers
Thanks Strawb for another good option.

Thank you all for your quick respond. I will let you know how it goes once I go through the test. Cheers guys & see you in the sand.
Humanfaith

location of registration center and compnies handling this procedure vary from one to another. i agree it is about luck
FrancisJK
Intermediate
Intermediate

Humanfaith;33735 wrote:location of registration center and compnies handling this procedure vary from one to another. i agree it is about luck
I agree to you Humanfaith. We could also consider the mood of the inspector :dark mood::pissed off::grin::X3: well fingers crossed. I will keep you posted guys. Cheers!
Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

There's one in Al Barsha Mall..in the basement parking..they don't really pay attention to these things
FrancisJK
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mazaaj;33748 wrote:There's one in Al Barsha Mall..in the basement parking..they don't really pay attention to these things
Good point Mazaaj Al Mumayaz Vehicle testing in the basement of Barsha Mall. I've been there once I remember when I registered my bike they unbelievably passed and approved it even the bike wasn't starting because of dead battery. Well I guess you are absolutely right. Cheers for the tip!
FrancisJK
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mazaaj;33748 wrote:There's one in Al Barsha Mall..in the basement parking..they don't really pay attention to these things
Few minutes ago...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1804[/ATTACH]

I passed for the first test without removing anything. As it is. Thank you all for your advises especially to Mazaaj :thumbsup: Cheers! Barsha Mall is just 2-3 kms away from my office so I took my chances & it's all worth. Almost 4x4 rocks!