Best tyres for 2003 TJ Wrangler

Camel Spider
Club Member
Club Member

I recently purchased a 2003 TJ which has already been modified. The previous owner had put a 3 inch OME lift kit and fitted it with massive 33inch (Deestone R405 33x12.5 R15) Tyres.

In my opinion they are way to big for the engine. They seem to create more drag than they are worth. The previous owner said it had been chipped but I need to verify this. Also I've only just found out the ring and pinion hasn't been changed so its putting a lot of stress on the engine.

Because they are so wide they seem to catch the stock fenders a lot. I don't know if thats the suspensions problem or that the wheels are just too big.

Just looking for some advice for a good all round TJ 4.0L rim/tyre combo that works well in the desert and on road doesn't deafen you after 5 mins on the 611. Maybe a 31 or 32 inch slimmer tyre would be better. Thoughts please!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1799[/ATTACH]
Camel Spider
Club Member
Club Member

Forgot to mention, they are Mudcrawler tyres (you can see from the pic) which have more tread than a tank! I don't see much Mud in the Desert so pretty sure the deep tread is not required, any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!
Maddie

Hi CS, its been discussed here at length http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... a-Wrangler
Camel Spider
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks Maddie