Tire Life Span

desert_jellyfish

Hi guys,

I've got a small dilemma which i hope you can help me with.

Car: Jeep Wrangler Sahara (2door)
Model: 2012
Modifications: None

Some time back i started experiencing a minor wobble in the steering wheel while driving at steady speed between 90-100 km/h....even while accelerating the steering would wobble while passing the range of 90-100 km/h but slightly less than when speed is steady. Any steady speed below 90km/h and above 100km/h i wouldn't witness this wobble.

This morning, i took my car for servicing at the SZR Jeep center and told them about this problem. They called back this after noon saying that the wobble was because of the uneven wear of the tires. So i was wondering if that was actually possible?!! My car is at 50,000kms now and most of my driving is on road except for 3 weeks ago when i started to joining the weekend drives with the club more regularly.

Can it be that the tire wear is so bad already? Or maybe its a wheel balancing issue? I was thinking of taking it to ALMOST4x4 service center to get a 2nd and more trusted opinion. Your inputs and suggestions are also welcomed and appreciated!
Maddie

Take it to a tyre dealer and let them check it? The wheel balancing issue would be on 80kmph. At 100 to 110, it maybe that ur Alignment/camber might be out and hence, uneven tyre wear. Do you rotate your tyres? Try swapping front to rear. No need to change tyres if there's enough tread left or no visiible cracks on th tyre. Someone suggested the chalk method to measure tyre pressure in one of the earlier posts, maybe you could use that to check tyre wear as well?

Good Luck Basha
desert_jellyfish

Maddie;33368 wrote:Do you rotate your tyres? Try swapping front to rear
Thanks for your input Maddie! That's another option.....might gi ahead and make my way to a tyre dealer.

I don't rotate my tyres but funny enough, this wobble did come up after i had the rims painted. But i stressed it so hard to put the tyres back to the place they were!! Ugh, i guess he didn't....can't go back now though, it's been 2 months now! Could be the problem though, might have to see if there's any way at checking which ones were in front and which ones were in the back. I'll ask around....

Thanks again
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi MOK11

When you had your rims painted, I assume the painter removed ALL the tire balancing weights.
Did you get them re-balanced after the painting?

Balancing a tire makes a HUGE difference.

Regards
Paul
desert_jellyfish

pwood;33374 wrote:Did you get them re-balanced after the painting?
Hi pwood, it was a pleasure meeting you at the drive yesterday :)

Yes, i did tell him to put them back as they were and re-balance them. According to what he said, he did exactly that!

i'll just need to re-visit him or a tyre shop or the almost 4x4 service center to get a 2nd opinion
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

M0K11;33367 wrote:Hi guys,

I've got a small dilemma which i hope you can help me with.

Car: Jeep Wrangler Sahara (2door)
Model: 2012
Modifications: None

Some time back i started experiencing a minor wobble in the steering wheel while driving at steady speed between 90-100 km/h....even while accelerating the steering would wobble while passing the range of 90-100 km/h but slightly less than when speed is steady. Any steady speed below 90km/h and above 100km/h i wouldn't witness this wobble.

This morning, i took my car for servicing at the SZR Jeep center and told them about this problem. They called back this after noon saying that the wobble was because of the uneven wear of the tires. So i was wondering if that was actually possible?!! My car is at 50,000kms now and most of my driving is on road except for 3 weeks ago when i started to joining the weekend drives with the club more regularly.

Can it be that the tire wear is so bad already? Or maybe its a wheel balancing issue? I was thinking of taking it to ALMOST4x4 service center to get a 2nd and more trusted opinion. Your inputs and suggestions are also welcomed and appreciated!
If your tyres have also done 50,000 km, they are at the end of their lifetime, so the walls are softer and the surface is not even. You need to see exactly how the surface looks like, mainly at the sides, if the wear is equal from inside and outside. If it is not, you need to fix the alignment. If you let steering off the hands when driving on o good surface, straight and the car is pulling to the side, the alignment is gone. Of course, you need to be sure that you have equal pressure at all your tyres.
On the other hand, alignment has to be done every 5-6 desert drives. If you want to see how the surface looks, take it to balancing shop and look at rotation on the machine, if the tyre is jumping or not.

There are also other factors which may influence wobbling. The whole front rotating section is a big mass and must sit together well. If you have some bushing (suspension, arms, links, differential) loose or damaged, it will shake.
desert_jellyfish

caprihorse;33377 wrote:If your tyres have also done 50,000 km, they are at the end of their lifetime, so the walls are softer and the surface is not even. You need to see exactly how the surface looks like, mainly at the sides, if the wear is equal from inside and outside. If it is not, you need to fix the alignment. If you let steering off the hands when driving on o good surface, straight and the car is pulling to the side, the alignment is gone. Of course, you need to be sure that you have equal pressure at all your tyres.
On the other hand, alignment has to be done every 5-6 desert drives. If you want to see how the surface looks, take it to balancing shop and look at rotation on the machine, if the tyre is jumping or not.

There are also other factors which may influence wobbling. The whole front rotating section is a big mass and must sit together well. If you have some bushing (suspension, arms, links, differential) loose or damaged, it will shake.
interesting....thanks for all the pointers capri!

I guess I will be heading to a balancing shop in satwa/alquoz some time soon....see what they say. Additionally, i'm still keen on visiting the almost4x4 center simply because i can trust them far more than any sanaea shop!

but with the feedback i'm getting I guess i need to start looking for new tyres :dizzy: