Wrangler YJs any good?

iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Hi all,

After my first off road trip this Friday I have come to realise that my Armada isn't the best car to take in the desert. So looking around for a wrangler purely as a off roading vehicle. I have seen some Wrangler YJs (1986-95) for pretty good prices. Some are GCC spec and some are imports. Just want to pick the brains of the club member as to how reliable these jeeps are? Are the spare parts available easily? As last thing I want is to pick a cheap 4x4 and end up going to garage after every trip.

So your advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Adnan
Adnan
Advance
Advance

put this in your mind

Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket:yarr:.......Have fun bro
zeemmee

iJanab;32614 wrote:
As last thing I want is to pick a cheap 4x4 and end up going to garage after every trip.
There you Go the answer you were looking for!.

Besides that Yj's are powerful, far better than their modern day predecessors , If you own a Garage then maintenance should not be an issue.

Why don't you consider an XJ ?. Same engine as the YJ, equally good & quite prevalent in Almost4x4. Plus you have experienced Marshalls here, who can guide you through any work required.
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

@Adnan - Thanks, atleast I know what I am jumping into :)

@Zeemee - I didnt know XJs have same engine as YJs.. Just done some googling and seems like a good alternate. Do you or anyone know how easily are the parts available for these vehicles?
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

My suggestion is to set an initial budget first so we can advise you available vehicles in that price range

getting a 2nd hand 4x4 suv will always mean you need to invvest on the initial maintenance requirements to give you that piece of mind that it will be offroad worthy

jeeps are good but its not for everybody ..... despite all the horror stories about jeeps ..... id still go for them anytime anyday ...... it is my preferred weapon of choice

cheers
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Budget is a bit of a shoestring budget - around 20k-30K.. I don't mind paying a little more upfront as long as the running costs can be kept low..
Mohammad
Advance
Advance

I bought stock second hand jeep and made sure that i take it for full inspection at RTA Al Awir used card showrom complex costing AED 200/- .. i nearly inspected 4 jeeps till i found the one.. it will cost you some for intitial maintenance as advised by Strawrb and some more for modification to suits your drive/needs for the desert.. I am happy with mine and it takes me nearly everywere!!

i guess chatting with ALMOST4x4 Marshals is the best option to get an advise on which models best (XJ, TJ, JK, ...etc) for our desert since they have the experiece, off course keeping the budget in mind.

good luck..
Mohammad
Advance
Advance

Adnan;32616 wrote:put this in your mind

Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket:yarr:.......Have fun bro
Never thought about it but i guess it 200% right. for some reason it is a jeep thing and you can't stop emptying your pocket for your jeep!!
Maddie

A friend of mine has a 99XJ Manual gear which is in good shape. Its parked almost three months now in my house. Needs brakes and tyres. BUT man is it a beast.
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Yes I think that RTA is a must when buying second hand car until and unless you know a very good garage who can do the check up for you...

Maddie, is your mate planing to sell his XJ? or leaving it parked for you to adore :pacman: