Which tyres on a Wrangler

strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi jeremy ..... i used to have 31x10.5x15 BFG's T/A's on my cherokee XJ and they worked really well for me ..... the sweet spot is definitely from 6-8psi depending on the temp of the sand ..... if this size was good for the xj then this would be an easy peasy for yoir much more powerful TJ .....

The problem is where to get them ....there is a scarcity of this sized tires in the market ...... it should go for 750-800aed a pc .....

BMW road in sharjah should be a good place to start your search
... try FORMULA or JUBA tire shops ..... you can also try calling our friend reyaz from tyre plus .... his number should be floating around here ..

Cheers
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice Strawb, I will try BMW road at the weekend I think. Will also call Reyaz. Do the Sharjah shops sell 'old' tyres, ie ones which have been stored for a while? The ones I have been quoted 1000 each for are 2013 and have a 1 year warranty. Thanks again.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Get in touch with reyaz ..... al futtaim sells bfg's with 2 yr warranty on their tires

Got my 33x12.5x15 from reyaz for 856aed each .... production date is august 2012 with a 2 yr warranty .....

He knows us there and it would be a good place to start as you can call him for availability and book a schedule for fixing
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Green Giant;32905 wrote:OK guys - so BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs appear to be the tyre of choice. I bought my TJ with 32x11.5x15 Cooper STTs, which was immediately stated by Caprihorse that they are very heavy and dig in a lot. Having driven the Green Giant now for the last 3 months in the Desert, experienced a few problems (until I got the pressure correct at 6psi), especially loss of momentum in soft sand when climbing as the tyres dig in, I think it is time to change. Reasons - very noisy on the road, three of the five tyres are 4 years old now and Dave told me recently that he had a blow out with them and his were only half that age. So, question for Abu Jimmy and other seasoned Jeepers, I was thinking of reducing the size slightly to 31x10.5 to try to improve the available torque and also to reduce weight a bit? Also I havent a clue where to get the best deal is - I have had an online quote for AED 1000 each for 5 no. 31x10.5x15 BFG T/A tyres which I think is too much? Any suggestions and good contacts in the area? As usual, any help and advice is greatly appreciated. See you in the sand soon.
Hi Jeremy , Its best to contact Reyaz at Tyre Plus as they are selling fresh sets with warranty .

Regarding the size of the tyres , I would recommend 32x11.5x15 as they will provide better grip for the wrangler . ( Al Khatib is using 33x12.5x15 ) as for the XJ we use 31x10.5x15 because the vehicle is more stable and has less power comparing to the TJ .
What goes around , comes around .
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks Abu Jimmy - Strawb recommended Reyaz too - which branch of Tyre Plus does he work from? I know there is one in Al Quoz? Thanks again.
Dave
Advance
Advance

Good afternoon Jeremy. Just back from a new tyre/wheel shop that has opened along the road that parallels the SZR and runs behind the Gold and Diamond park up at the Mall of Emirates end. Very impressed with selection of stock and how professional the guys working there are. Changed my wheels and they were super careful not to damage my tyres in the process. All equipment is brand new. It's called Formula tyres (they have a store also in Shrajah) and the owner is an Iranian chap called Mostafa. Seems honest and his Dad has run a tyre shop in Sharjah since the mid 80's. May be worth while giving him a quick bell to see if he can be of help to you. His mobile is 050 6262976. Website www.formulafw.com.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi Dave, Yes I have seen that place, there is another one next door too. Strawb mentioned Formula Tyres too, as well as Tyre Plus which is also on that road. What are prices like?
Dave
Advance
Advance

Prices seem fair. While I was there a guy returned to purchase tyres after searching around for a better deal all morning and not finding one! Certainly worth giving Mostafa a bell to at least get a quote. I somehow managed to damage one of my wheels which I bought second hand anyhow from Sharjah so treated my Patrol to a new set. Prices similar to Sharjah but without the hassle of the drive up and the old equipment used to change the tyres over.

You seem to be researching this well so I am sure you will end up with a good deal. Glad to hear those STT's are going!
lizzy
Club Member
Club Member

The BFGs are an excellent tyre and are particularly suited to rough, rocky terrain. You do have to deflate them more for the dunes than other AT tyres to get the same footprint because they have much stiffer side walls. May I suggest Yokohama Geolander AT-S or Nitto Terra Grappler AT as alternatives. Both are less stiff, are cheaper, weigh less and are less aggresive than the BFGs. They're also tough enough to cope with the rough stuff in the wadis and on the jebels.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks for your advice Lizzy. I run Cooper Discoverer STTs at the moment which run at 6psi in the dunes, and the sidewalls are VERY stiff. The bonus is that pop outs are eliminated (so far anyway) hence I want to run a stiff tyre, and Marshall's advice is pointing to BFG. Thanks again.