Which tyres on a Wrangler

Fat Rabbit

Hello all,

Okay so its time to change the tyres of my TJ and wanted some advice on which brand, what type, which shops etc.

I currently have Nitto Dune Grappler Desert Terrain on my TJ which is lifted 2 inches. The tyre size is 31 x 10.5 R15 LR. It has a nice flame pattern on the tread.

I was at Robbies Motorsport some time ago and they told me that Nitto tyres may be difficult to find, hence I shud look for other brands.

My main use of the TJ is in the desert or weekend driving, I dont use it for my regular commute to work (the manual gear in bumber to bumper traffic is not flattering). Aggressive looking tyres look good on a Wrangler (I hope they perform well too).

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

BF Goodrich T/A all terrain tires

If your interested? I have 3 month old 33x12.5x15 bfg's purchased from al futtaim on 15x10 gt wheels

Im thinking of going bigger with 35" tires on 17" rims on my 4 door jk .... so let me know if you'd like to cut a deal

Sms me

Cheers
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

BF Goodrich T/A all terrain tires all the way ...:thumbsup:
What goes around , comes around .
Adnan
Advance
Advance

Hi Brothers, my last 3 years experience using BF Goodrich A/T I would advice that it was great,BF Goodrich tires provide good grip and control over the vehicle both on-road and off-road. However one of the negative points is bit heavier on gear box.
Nevertheless, once you are going to change the tires you need to assess different parameters prior to take such decision and indeed based on what the nature of using the car and what is the expected performance you are asking for.

for examples of assessment criteria are:
fuel efficiency (The energy lost when a tyre is 'rolling)
wet grip( an important safety aspect of a tyre,Tyres with excellent grip in the wet have shorter braking distances on wet roads)
noise level, driving stability, on / off road performance, durability, heat resistance, max allowable speed, max load, size, price.......etc you may google it.

Personally, I have Shaheen tires on my wrangler which gives a most of sand performance unless wet grip on polished surface which not occurring much in this country.
zeemmee

Also Consider Cooper at3 & geolander ats .
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

zeemmee;32618 wrote:Also Consider Cooper at3 & geolander ats .
Those would perform much better with 16" rims and heavy cars ...:thumbsup:
What goes around , comes around .
Adnan
Advance
Advance

Ok Fat Rabbit bro, what you eventually decide ??????????:pacman:
Fat Rabbit

Adnan;32758 wrote:Ok Fat Rabbit bro, what you eventually decide ??????????:pacman:
I am out of the UAE for two weeks, so will decide when I return, but I think I'll go with BF Goodrich T/A all terrain tyres.

Thanks everyone for your feedback :)
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

OK guys - so BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs appear to be the tyre of choice. I bought my TJ with 32x11.5x15 Cooper STTs, which was immediately stated by Caprihorse that they are very heavy and dig in a lot. Having driven the Green Giant now for the last 3 months in the Desert, experienced a few problems (until I got the pressure correct at 6psi), especially loss of momentum in soft sand when climbing as the tyres dig in, I think it is time to change. Reasons - very noisy on the road, three of the five tyres are 4 years old now and Dave told me recently that he had a blow out with them and his were only half that age. So, question for Abu Jimmy and other seasoned Jeepers, I was thinking of reducing the size slightly to 31x10.5 to try to improve the available torque and also to reduce weight a bit? Also I havent a clue where to get the best deal is - I have had an online quote for AED 1000 each for 5 no. 31x10.5x15 BFG T/A tyres which I think is too much? Any suggestions and good contacts in the area? As usual, any help and advice is greatly appreciated. See you in the sand soon.