Off Road Vehicle Mods - 10 Commandments

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

M0K11;32400 wrote:Unfortunately i am one of those lazy boys :X3: but why without KN filter? I was gonna put Airaid for the sound it gives, just beautiful!

as for the opening, i was thinking of installing a pre-filter at the top (for that extra lazyness :015:)
Micro holes at these filters are bigger as by standard filter, so they are letting more fine sand particles into the cylinders and then piston rings are acting like sand paper and increasing cylinder diameter, reducing compression ratio.
Bringing another filter in the air line is reducing air flow, it means reducing engine power.

Air filter is one of the most important engine components and it must be clean all the time and the formula is simple. If air filter surface is covered by dirt and sand by 20%, so with the same ratio is reduced engine power. If somebody is lazy to clean it, he is voluntary reducing his engine power. Imagine you would be running wearing military mask and try to close air intake on the filter by the hand. What would happen?
desert_jellyfish

caprihorse;32406 wrote:Micro holes at these filters are bigger as by standard filter, so they are letting more fine sand particles into the cylinders and then piston rings are acting like sand paper and increasing cylinder diameter, reducing compression ratio.
Bringing another filter in the air line is reducing air flow, it means reducing engine power.

Air filter is one of the most important engine components and it must be clean all the time and the formula is simple. If air filter surface is covered by dirt and sand by 20%, so with the same ratio is reduced engine power. If somebody is lazy to clean it, he is voluntary reducing his engine power. Imagine you would be running wearing military mask and try to close air intake on the filter by the hand. What would happen?
Ladies and gentlemen, you can always count on caprihorse to explain things to you in a simple and easy way to understand....plus a little dark humor :p

but it makes sense.....better start getting used to the habit of cleaning!
Bomolin
Intermediate
Intermediate

Capri i really like below statement you made :
"The car is designed by engineers (professionals), spending millions on design and typical car owner is amateur in design. When he is modifying something, he is saying, that all those designers are idiots and they don't know their job at all."

However after some laught I was wondering...did those professionals engineer designed the car (which ever you named ) for what we do? Did they designed for liwa, to be at 50 degress at 7000 rpm trying to climb a 100 m ?

Why if any sign of off road on the car when repairs are needed,are enought for dealer to claim " warranty not cover as car has not been use for what is designed for"

This subject post is an amazing document which should be utilize on the right way, will save a hell of money for many member, been able to understand what reporter is trying to explain.

I will not consider our cars as overlander cars whether than off road car. Probably i will never modified an overlander car if i will be in need of one, taking into consideration this report.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bomolin;32408 wrote:Capri i really like below statement you made :
"The car is designed by engineers (professionals), spending millions on design and typical car owner is amateur in design. When he is modifying something, he is saying, that all those designers are idiots and they don't know their job at all."

However after some laught I was wondering...did those professionals engineer designed the car (which ever you named ) for what we do? Did they designed for liwa, to be at 50 degress at 7000 rpm trying to climb a 100 m ?

Why if any sign of off road on the car when repairs are needed,are enought for dealer to claim " warranty not cover as car has not been use for what is designed for"

This subject post is an amazing document which should be utilize on the right way, will save a hell of money for many member, been able to understand what reporter is trying to explain.

I will not consider our cars as overlander cars whether than off road car. Probably i will never modified an overlander car if i will be in need of one, taking into consideration this report.
Somewhere in original submitted article is mentioned, that it is good to buy a car which is designed for the certain terrain conditions. Many people think, that the car is good for e.g. sand dunes, when they see it there driving, but they don't have any idea, if the car is really good for the desert. But none of the cars in the world can drive permanently at 6000 rpm, so it dependes really on the built up skills of the driver, how to torture the car at minimum, to extend her lifetime to maximum.

We saw in many cases in our Club, that people started with a certain car and then after few trips they decided to sell it or offered it to the wife, with the nice explanation to get approval for unexpected expense in family budget.

There are certain cars designed especially for the sand desert, but still to the certain extent, where some modifications are required, but modifications which will help the car and the driver, but not bring it totally out of balance, just because of look and noise.

All the modifications should be performed only by experienced off-roader, with many years of experience behind him, definitely not by fresh Newbies. And additionally various rankings in various clubs, don't say anything about experience or skills.
lizzy
Club Member
Club Member

The advice about the K&N filters is spot on! I was told by a chief engineer at Castrol/BP Middle East to stick with the OEM filters and always keep your engine oil topped up. Change the air filters as per the service schedule and, if you use a good synthetic oil, that you can expect at least 10,000km between changes.
Maddie

Thank you lizzy for the link.

The KN is one of the best filters BUT onroad ! Offroad, they are a vacuum for dust and sand. The damage is proportionately less if you are the lead vehicle on a calm day but if its convoy driving or fine sand and wind, you are basically feeding the engine a SANDwich :smile:

KN now has a conical paper filter too. The same material that is used by OEM but again, its an exposed cone, which lets in more dust than normal.

As chief thankfully pointed out, OEM Engineers spend million of $ in R&D and we can not outdo them, not a lot anyway.

Overland rigs and offroad rigs are two different things.

An overland truck or vehicle is meant for travel through different terrains and almost always doubles as home away from home. Depending on the proposed terrain, you may choose suspension, equipment, tools and modificaton but always keep in mind 'more weight=slower progress' equation.

Also, Overlanders have to built tough and fixable on the go. Dune Bashers have to be built Powerful and towable :smile:

I am an ardent follower of Overlanders - They almost always go for OEM and cross the African Continent that way. Most go for suspension and tyre mods, winches and lighting, portable showers and water supply, spare parts and spare tyres, self recovery tools and gear, clothes and food.

Hence, I requote Chief's quote:

“An overland vehicle is not perfect when you have added the last possible modification, but when you have taken the last possible modification away. . .”

Least amount of gear for most possible use.
Alok708

Great Article! thanks for sharing. Also very interesting and valuable discussion, lots of inputs & explanations from chief and contributions from many other members. I am enjoying reading and learning. Thank you all.