Founder

Hi lizzy

You are new to our family but I started to like you :thumbsup: ... nice article

Best Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Dave
Advance
Advance

Good article Lizzy. Thanks for the link.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

this article just save me cash for 37" tires and a 5" lift redbullsmiley
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

“An overland vehicle is not perfect when you have added the last possible modification, but when you have taken the last possible modification away. . .”

I love this statement !!!

Scott Brady is speaking from my heart the same words, that I try to explain every Newbie on the trips or here on the Forum.
desert_jellyfish

caprihorse;32391 wrote:“An overland vehicle is not perfect when you have added the last possible modification, but when you have taken the last possible modification away. . .”

I love this statement !!!

Scott Brady is speaking from my heart the same words, that I try to explain every Newbie on the trips or here on the Forum.
That statement caught my attention but I honestly didn't understand it!! Tried to decifer it for a while but to no avail :s

Do you mind explaining it please capri?

Thanks in advance :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

M0K11;32392 wrote:That statement caught my attention but I honestly didn't understand it!! Tried to decifer it for a while but to no avail :s

Do you mind explaining it please capri?

Thanks in advance :)
It's my pleasure.

It says clearly that the driver should not modify the car but she should stay as stock wherever possible. The car is designed by engineers (professionals), spending millions on design and typical car owner is amateur in design. When he is modifying something, he is saying, that all those designers are idiots and they don't know their job at all.

If modifications are necessary make it with sense and avoid unnecessary "decorations" like:
  1. MT (mud tyres), which are just heavy and are impressing only girlfriend and non off-roaders and in the sand are useless.
  2. Extensive lifting, which increases centre of gravity and the possibility of roll-over. It's good only for rocks to pass through.
  3. Intake and exhaust modifications don't really built horse power, but only ensure that the engine is working with different parameters as it was designed for, mostly worse.
  4. Differential and prop shaft modifications bring higher load on gear box and clutch (M/T)
  5. Winch, which is mostly very heavy (80 - 120 kg) and is used maybe once a year. And even at that case may not recover the car as its rope may brake anytime. All the winches with low weight are pure decoration only.
Above are mentioned just few typical modifications, about which is dreaming a Newbie, who just purchased his new toy and allocated extensive budget for bringing his car out of balance and endanger his Newbie life and experience. It's a mental problem, because he just wants and his brain cells are just dreaming about new fantastic look and are not listening absolutely to realistic advices.

Many times on this Forum, we receive a question like: "I got a brand new Pajero, Wrangler or FJ, what shall I modify to come to the first trip?" The answer is: "Skills !"
desert_jellyfish

caprihorse;32393 wrote:It's my pleasure.

It says clearly that the driver should not modify the car but she should stay as stock wherever possible. The car is designed by engineers (professionals), spending millions on design and typical car owner is amateur in design. When he is modifying something, he is saying, that all those designers are idiots and they don't know their job at all.

If modifications are necessary make it with sense and avoid unnecessary "decorations" like:
  1. MT (mud tyres), which are just heavy and are impressing only girlfriend and non off-roaders and in the sand are useless.
  2. Extensive lifting, which increases centre of gravity and the possibility of roll-over. It's good only for rocks to pass through.
  3. Intake and exhaust modifications don't really built horse power, but only ensure that the engine is working with different parameters as it was designed for, mostly worse.
  4. Differential and prop shaft modifications bring higher load on gear box and clutch (M/T)
  5. Winch, which is mostly very heavy (80 - 120 kg) and is used maybe once a year. And even at that case may not recover the car as its rope may brake anytime. All the winches with low weight are pure decoration only.
Above are mentioned just few typical modifications, about which is dreaming a Newbie, who just purchased his new toy and allocated extensive budget for bringing his car out of balance and endanger his Newbie life and experience. It's a mental problem, because he just wants and his brain cells are just dreaming about new fantastic look and are not listening absolutely to realistic advices.

Many times on this Forum, we receive a question like: "I got a brand new Pajero, Wrangler or FJ, what shall I modify to come to the first trip?" The answers is: "Skills !"
Wow.....thank you for the precise and detailed definition!

coincidentally, i was looking at a cold air intake and snorkel as my next mods :p hmmmmm, starting to reconsider :XD:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

M0K11;32394 wrote:Wow.....thank you for the precise and detailed definition!

coincidentally, i was looking at a cold air intake and snorkel as my next mods :p hmmmmm, starting to reconsider :XD:
Snorkel is helpful, if it is properly mounted and without KN filter, using only stock filter. Upper opening should be covered with some nylon sock and pointing backwards.

Snorkel in general protects air filter to be covered with lots of sand, for those who are lazy to clean air filter after every sand trip.
desert_jellyfish

caprihorse;32395 wrote:Snorkel is helpful, if it is properly mounted and without KN filter, using only stock filter. Upper opening should be covered with some nylon sock and pointing backwards.

Snorkel in general protects air filter to be covered with lots of sand, for those who are lazy to clean air filter after every sand trip.
Unfortunately i am one of those lazy boys :X3: but why without KN filter? I was gonna put Airaid for the sound it gives, just beautiful!

as for the opening, i was thinking of installing a pre-filter at the top (for that extra lazyness :015:)