Wrangler TJ Coolant Boiling

Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Hi everybody,

We have a 2004 automatic TJ. Previous weekend while we are returning from Fossil Rock we got a smell and stopped. What we saw was the coolant reservoir cap was open and brown rusty coolant splashed under the hood. Remaining coolant was boiling but there was no overheating as per the indicator. It was slightly over 100. We stopped the engine, waited for a couple of hours for it to cool and i opened the radiator cap. The radiator was empty. The reservoir has boilt the remaining so it was empty too. Our friends went out of desert and brought us some coolantand we filled the radiator and reserv.. i thought maybe we missed checking the coolant level, maybe it was low and that is the reason. Then we ran the engine, ride through desert some more and headed back home.

All week we rode the car, checking the engine, coolant any leak and there was nothing. This weekend i wanted to see if it is ok and went to desert again. Pushed the car a bit. Once i heard the coolant is boiling but settled soon no overheating no loss of coolant. After i got out of desert, i stopped at a gas station, opened the hood and checked. There was nothing. I stopped, left for some shopping and ran the car again to buy gas. While filling one guy warned me and when i get out and saw there was too much coolant on the ground. I opened the hood, it was spitting from the reservoir discharge tip then it settled.

The car is at Jeepers now (we bought it from them that is why) for 2 days, they are saying they checked the radiator is ok, thermostate is ok, there is no smoke from the engine, all liquids are ok no mixing, timing belt is ok and engine is running smoothly. I got confused. Unfortunately we don't have time to go to Almost garage for now so i would really appreciate if anybody might comment on it or share experience if the same occured before. Sorry for the long post just did not want to miss the details.

Thanks in advance to everybody... Cheers...
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

did you check if the fans were working? and if so were they at a speed which can cool the engine?
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

The fan was working but i don't know if there is a problem with it's speed. There is no modification or additional fans on the system yet.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
Maddie

1- There is no over heating but the cooling system is overflowing.
2-The system pressure is pushing out the coolant into the bottle.
3-The boiling coolant is because there's air present in the radiator.
4-radiator has been checked _ I'll assume it has been flushed and coolant replaced with a 50/50 mix of Coolant and Distilled water.

Replace the Radiator Cap.

And agalon, dont worry, welcome to the TJ world.

Its a Jeep thing !!
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Maddie;31065 wrote:1- There is no over heating but the cooling system is overflowing.
2-The system pressure is pushing out the coolant into the bottle.
3-The boiling coolant is because there's air present in the radiator.
4-radiator has been checked _ I'll assume it has been flushed and coolant replaced with a 50/50 mix of Coolant and Distilled water.

Replace the Radiator Cap.

And agalon, dont worry, welcome to the TJ world.

Its a Jeep thing !!
Yes Maddie more clearer then how i tried to explain :))

I assume the guys in the workshop also flushed the system. I will check tomorrow. And for the system itself i am planning to change all cooling system. I will check with Mishimoto distributor and get a quotation for the whole system with aluminium radiator, thermostate, hoses, reservoir, electric fan addition and gearbox cooler. Just want to be sure that the engine is ok, no cracks etc.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Red Shark,

I will check for it tomorrow. Did you change with the original cap or some other aftermarket one?
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
Maddie

Agalon, just chemical flush the system, change the cap with a Mopar @ 35 I think, get a Land Rover Thermostat @ 35 AED that opens at 76C, buy Mopar hose pipes. The reservoir doesn't need replaceement, the Aux fan is about 45 AED. Labour will cost you about two hundred including the flushing fan install.

The parts can be bought from Almazaya Spare Parts, Strawb can help with the address.

Regarding the Transmission cooler and hoses, contact Alkhatib or Abu Jimmy.
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Maddie;31071 wrote:Agalon, just chemical flush the system, change the cap with a Mopar @ 35 I think, get a Land Rover Thermostat @ 35 AED that opens at 76C, buy Mopar hose pipes. The reservoir doesn't need replaceement, the Aux fan is about 45 AED. Labour will cost you about two hundred including the flushing fan install.

The parts can be bought from Almazaya Spare Parts, Strawb can help with the address.

Regarding the Transmission cooler and hoses, contact Alkhatib or Abu Jimmy.
Thank you very much Maddie :) I'll definitely check with them.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18