Jeep Wrangler Service

Black_Shrek

I had a very bad experience with Jeepers. They are ok for accessories, but I dont trust them at all when it comes to repairs or maintenance. Had a huge list of issues at that time and after charging a small fortune all the issues were still there, I had to recover it and take to another garage...
Since we are here, I also had bad experience with Dexol. 3 visits and gear leak still there... Considering that on my first visit I told them my neutral switch is nonoperational, this is pathetic outcome. I took the car to a ghetto garage in Sharjah and they replaced the neutral switch. total 100 aed. No leak since 6 months.
Still searching for a place which will provide genuine service advise on good rates, I know there are, somewhere out there, but too busy to make themselves known :)
I prefer to change oil, filters, spark plugs, sensors, bolts etc by myself, and for serious issues to google forums, jeep is a diy-friendly brand :)
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hey Ghoonk, sorry missed your question. I pay AED 2700 for 4 services a year - 2 Major and 2 minor, every 5000km. First one cost me additonal 200dhs where they sorted out a cooling problem (leaking heater matrix - constant overheating - not had any issues since). As I said - peace of mind. Watch out for their 'free' check - the total cost of what they said needed sorting was near 10,000 dhs. Front and rear upper and lower control arms (bent - "would feel it in the desert" - no issues so far), worn bushes, etc etc.

Other than that - they do know Jeeps very well and can give good advice when needed.
ghoonk

Thanks for the reply!

I signed up for a service and maintenance contract with Trading Enterprises Jeep. Will probably go for an extended warranty since I'm getting good peace of mind that the agency is using factory parts instead of OEM. AED2700 isn't a bad price at all for 4 service jobs, especially when 2 are major. Since my car is currently under warranty anyway, I've been cautioned to not put that warranty at risk by getting the car worked on elsewhere (e.g. the Pentastar is particularly adverse to heavier weight oils - hence the engine was designed to handle the flow rate of 5W20 oil - this is consistent with my understanding of oils when I used to race and for building track day cars)

Either way, I'm rather thankful for the warranty coverage since there is the matter of the persistently failing power window switch which has been replaced 4 times so far (all under warranty, of course).
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

I agree - I have a 2011 V8 Grand Cherokee which I bought new with a 5 year warranty - it hurt when I paid more than the annual cost for the TJ for the 40K service!! My TJ was maintained by Offroad Zone before I bought it so they have a good knowledge of it as well! WIll do it myself after September this year as I now live in a Villa - difficult to do when in an Apartment! That is until I upgrade to the Pentastar equipped model!!
Maddie

Green Giant;32345 wrote:Hey Ghoonk, sorry missed your question. I pay AED 2700 for 4 services a year - 2 Major and 2 minor, every 5000km. First one cost me additonal 200dhs where they sorted out a cooling problem (leaking heater matrix - constant overheating - not had any issues since). As I said - peace of mind. Watch out for their 'free' check - the total cost of what they said needed sorting was near 10,000 dhs. Front and rear upper and lower control arms (bent - "would feel it in the desert" - no issues so far), worn bushes, etc etc.

Other than that - they do know Jeeps very well and can give good advice when needed.
My daily driven TJ's service schedule:

1- Adnoc Silver Voyager (5000 KM) Oil @14AED per Liter x 5.7 litres & original Mopar oil filter = 80 Dhs + 24 AED = 104.
2- Next 5000 kms service (probably 2 months later) only 5.5 liter of oil and not filter = 77 dirhams.

Anything else I break, I go and buy it from Al Mazaya Spare Parts in Sharjah and look for a garage as needed.

Brake Pads or shoes - AC DELCO Front 120 Rear 120. Changing either end = 60 Dirhams.
If the drums need polishing = 20 dirhams a piece, thats 40 dirhams one end.

Power Steering oil - 15 Dirhams a liter - add as needed.
Coolant - 10 Drihams a liter - add as needed.

Manual Gear oil (Enoc as per Chief's Recommendation) 45 dirhams for 4 litres - to be changed every twenty thousand offroad kilometres, 2.5 litres I think for the TJ. My garage charges me 40 dirhams per change.

Differential Oil I have no idea abt it as I went to a Garage who put 80W oil in both front / rear and in place of a gasket, silicon tube was used and for the last 20000 KMs, NO LEAKS. However, every oil change I check the level.

The best part of owning the older Tjs and XJs or the YJs is making new friends, with dirty hands and broken english :smile:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maddie;32416 wrote:...
Manual Gear oil (Enoc as per Chief's Recommendation) 45 dirhams for 4 litres - to be changed every twenty thousand offroad kilometres, 2.5 litres I think for the TJ. My garage charges me 40 dirhams per change.
I never said that, as I was using another brand...
Maddie;32416 wrote:Differential Oil I have no idea abt it as I went to a Garage who put 80W oil in both front / rear and in place of a gasket, silicon tube was used and for the last 20000 KMs, NO LEAKS. However, every oil change I check the level.
M/T, differential and transfer case oil can be used the same type and viscosity grade (90) and it's enough to change oils every 50k km. Yes, you have also transfer case...
Maddie

Shell not Enoc. I'm sorry I got the brand mixed up but I used the oil you recommended.

Chief, for dedicated offroad rigs, we can still wait for 50K for MT or differential Oil?
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Maddie,

I totally agree with you - when you have the space to do your own servicing it helps. Living in a 27th floor apartment and a car park space for the daily drive only it doesn't give much option!! I have recently moved to a villa and will do my own work, as I always did before I moved out here. As you say, you need to commence a love affair with your car and get to know its likes and dislikes, especially when off roading regularly. Time is however very short at the weekends, my wife complains she is an Almost widow already!! Anyway, keep up the advice and guidance for us fellow TJ'ers. Thx.