skid plate - xterra

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

I am looking to fit a 'skid plate' to protect the underside of my Xterra, and I've looked through a previous posts.

However a question I have unanswered is the best material to use - should I get steel or aluminum ?
Is it just a question of cost, and what about the considerable additional weight of the steel ?

Lastly, are there any garages that I should avoid going to (perhaps someone has had a bad experience) , or is this a pretty standard modification that I can get from anywhere ?

Many thanks
Ginger
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

ginger;26829 wrote:I am looking to fit a 'skid plate' to protect the underside of my Xterra, and I've looked through a previous posts.

However a question I have unanswered is the best material to use - should I get steel or aluminum ?
Is it just a question of cost, and what about the considerable additional weight of the steel ?

Lastly, are there any garages that I should avoid going to (perhaps someone has had a bad experience) , or is this a pretty standard modification that I can get from anywhere ?

Many thanks
Ginger
I advice you to speak with offroadron, as he had lots of suffering, choosing wrong garage and wrong skid plate at the beginning. I think his latest version is from Icon.
The other option would be to speak with Omar from Almost4x4 Auto service.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

A skid plate is a very important modification to all off-road vehicles , in other words you are investing some money in a piece of metal that will protect vital power train parts that cost too much money in case of damaged . cheap thin steel and bad fabrication will be a good accessory that looks nice and protects nothing .

Ready made skid plates for Xterra are rare in the local market and pretty well expensive as well , as they are " Branded Items " .

You can check with Omar Kallas from almost4x4 auto service for a decent aluminum fabricated skid plate at reasonable price .
What goes around , comes around .
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

ginger;26829 wrote:I am looking to fit a 'skid plate' to protect the underside of my Xterra, and I've looked through a previous posts.

Aluminum all the way

its half the weight saved or even more

N-G (Noble George) is the reputable name for skid plates in the local market

cheers
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

many thanks for the advice
pato mwazi
Club Member
Club Member

BUMP!!!!!....do these Omar and Noble browse these forums...looking for skid plates as well....R51 Pathy