Pajero Basic Modifications (2007-2013)

AHMAD4X4
Club Member
Club Member

Reading the thread ... I have done the TC kill switch at Al Habtoor workshop (check with mr warrier) while maintaining my car's warranty ... It does make a big difference while driving on the dunes but again the automatic shifting of the gear while reving up the engine is a major downside that affected the performance of the car
larkin
Club Member
Club Member

AHMAD4X4;33322 wrote:Reading the thread ... I have done the TC kill switch at Al Habtoor workshop (check with mr warrier) while maintaining my car's warranty ... It does make a big difference while driving on the dunes but again the automatic shifting of the gear while reving up the engine is a major downside that affected the performance of the car
Hi Ahmad - you mean you were not using the trip-tonic mode ?
larkin
Club Member
Club Member

bombays;33315 wrote:To Start with while buying a pajero we needed a family car where we could fit in 7 people. I never ever thought that i would be dedicating myself so much towards this sport. In Short as strawb said you will not enjoy in intermediate level and it does not make any sense to spend money on pajero instead you can buy a cherokee and use it as your off road ride.( i did the same ). In Dakar they do lots of mods which may cost more than the car itself.
Many thanks. My brother has a Grand Cherokee WJ which is a beast ;-)
Many thanks for the info - i will get the TC switch done right-away.
zarir
Intermediate
Intermediate

larkin;33327 wrote:Hi Ahmad - you mean you were not using the trip-tonic mode ?
In the pajero, even when using triptronic mode the gears will automatically upshift / downshift depending on the engine rpm.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

zarir;33330 wrote:In the pajero, even when using triptronic mode the gears will automatically upshift / downshift depending on the engine rpm.
It's called tiptronic... :=B:

In the real life, in Pajero, when you want to climb the dune on 1st gear, the car's illogical computer does switch to second gear at the moment when you reach cca. 6000 rpm (and you don't need at that moment the second gear at all), which is typically just 1 meter below the crest. Pajero looses momentum and driver instead of returning, pushes the car with eyes over the crest. Result after that is fun for the audience and Pajero gets stuck.
You can avoid this, when you know exactly at which RPM the computer switches to second gear. However instead of watching the terrain, you'll be starring at RPMs and you'll get stuck so we so or you will fly.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

The pajero tiptronic computer will shift to 2nd at 4500rpm - 5500rpm ........ it takes a lot of practice to understand and get the technique to get around this issue .....
AHMAD4X4
Club Member
Club Member

As the guys said, the computer automatically shifts to the 2nd gear when it reaches a certain rpm and car speed (the rpm is not the only factor) even if you are using tiptronic... This program is to ensure the safety of the gear ...unfortuantely I have read many forums and none of them were able to disengage this program without altering the car's computer
Bambam
Intermediate
Intermediate

Ok friends... My 2011 Pajero 3.5 with 4 gears automatic and Super select II never upshifted at 4-5500 rpm's. Neither when climbing dunes - nor on paved road when I keep it at first gear with tip tronic (I also have the switch built in to disable TC and ABS from Shibu). I would love to meet up with all pajero owners in this thread one weekend to try out this specific issue. maybe some of you have the 5 gear automatic which comes with the 3.8? apparently that is new technology and maybe "smarter"? My car has the highest torque at 4750 rpm up to 5500 rpm - after that I would shift to 2nd gear anyway to maintain the torque. Anyone interested to do a Pajero special - any help of the Marshalls/Explorers would be highly appreciated to maintain Almost 4x4 safety. Maybe before any coming drive we can meet 30 mins earlier and hit some high dunes?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bambam;33386 wrote:Ok friends... My 2011 Pajero 3.5 with 4 gears automatic and Super select II never upshifted at 4-5500 rpm's. Neither when climbing dunes - nor on paved road when I keep it at first gear with tip tronic (I also have the switch built in to disable TC and ABS from Shibu). I would love to meet up with all pajero owners in this thread one weekend to try out this specific issue. maybe some of you have the 5 gear automatic which comes with the 3.8? apparently that is new technology and maybe "smarter"? My car has the highest torque at 4750 rpm up to 5500 rpm - after that I would shift to 2nd gear anyway to maintain the torque. Anyone interested to do a Pajero special - any help of the Marshalls/Explorers would be highly appreciated to maintain Almost 4x4 safety. Maybe before any coming drive we can meet 30 mins earlier and hit some high dunes?
Try to push it to higher rpm on 1st gear and you'll see... Pajero will switch, not to overrun engine. Some other cars, equipped with M/T have rpm limiter to protect the engine. You can hear it, when they are climbing the dune.
Forget torque, it is just theoretical value, issued by manufacturer to impress buyers, but this number does not have any practical usage. I would like to see you, how you are switching to second gear on a long steep run up to the top... At the moment of switching, rpms are reduced at least by 1000, so you are using precious moments and metres...
Bambam
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fair enough Chief... I trust your word - will try next time to really push the rpm... :) lets see when the little bugger gives in...