Pajero Basic Modifications (2007-2013)

strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

everyone knows me as a jeeper as i love my old cherokee XJ so much (despite all our technical issues here and there) ......

the marshals remember me when i joined the club as a Pajero Man ....... weve had several discussions on what to do and what not to do to your pajero ...... modifications which might just waste your time, effort and money .....

so here is an effort to simplify the necessary basics to help you enjoy the capabilities your pajero for more desert offroad fun .....

we will go from MOST IMPORTANT to LEAST IMPORTANT in reference to my own personal experience with driving my Pajero ....

there are basically 2 body types and 3 engine types which are common for the 2007-2012 pajero .....

chassis types are:
LWB (Long Wheel Base)
SWB (Short Wheel Base)

engine types are: (petrol powered)
3.0 V6
3.5 V6
3.8 V6

i can speak for the 3.5 V6 LWB as this is what i have as my previous offroad machine and as my daily driver here and around the emirates .....

FIRST MODIFICATION: Front and Rear Bumpers

8-10mm thick Front ALUMINIUM Bash Plate

why aluminium? the pajero as a vehicle is heavy as it is and has a stock 1mm thick steel bashplate which gets bent easily when you hit a hard crest, rocks or hard sand bump formation ...... less weight is more power ...... you can go for the 5mm-8mm thich steel bashplate however .... these things are really heavy and will definitely have a direct effect in power and handling

Remove the mud guards in the front wheels as you will eventually lose them in the desert if you dont (your choice)

as you can notice in the picture above ..... i have also trimmed the lower part of my front bumper as this will give you better approach clearance and it helps you preserve your stock bumper ...... if you repeatedly hit your front bumper on sand .... the risk of losing the lower fog lamps will be higher as well

REAR BUMPER: The rear bumper acts as sand scoop because of the stock design mitsubishi has made ....... there are 3 options you can go about this issue

1. Remove it completely by unbolting the screws with a 10-12mm socket wrench everytime you go offroad
2. Cut the scoop side of the bumper with a dremel or a hacksaw (THIS IS WHAT I DID TO MINE)

as you can see .... no more scoop to catch sand

3. Have a rear bash plate fabricated to conform to the shape and design of the rear bumper so you dont have issues of losing the plastic parts when driving offroad

ABS, Traction Control, ASC kill switch

My pajero is a 3.5V6 which means i will not have difflock ...... in the 3.8V6 models .... a difflock option is there which disables your ABS, traction control and ASC off ...... this does not give you the solution to drive without ABS and traction control on 4H though ...... the longer you drive in the desert ... you will find out that you cant drive with your difflock ON all the time .... so the solution is this

Have a capable electrician install you a direct switch whcih will enable you to turn off all these options once you hit sand .......

these are a couple of basic solutions to the common pajero man ...... however this is not the limit of what you can or you want to modify with your pajero ....

I hope this helps and we will keep this thread alive for everyone who needs assistance in making their pajeros MORE offroad ready

cheers
mathbin

strawb;18652 wrote:as you can notice in the picture above ..... i have also trimmed the lower part of my front bumper as this will give you better approach clearance and it helps you preserve your stock bumper ...... if you repeatedly hit your front bumper on sand .... the risk of losing the lower fog lamps will be higher as well

cheers

Hi Strawb, after trimming the lower portion of your front bumper, do you hear that annoying whistling like wind noise at cruising speeds??
or is it just a peculiar problem with my car?
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

mathbin;18674 wrote:Hi Strawb, after trimming the lower portion of your front bumper, do you hear that annoying whistling like wind noise at cruising speeds??
or is it just a peculiar problem with my car?
hi mathbin ...... the pajero as it is in stock mode does have issues in terms of keeping the noise from the inside ......

i would say that would be normal i guess
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Excellent write-up Strawb.. Precise and Concise..
tonneree

Hi all,

I have just received a quote from ARB (Dubai) for a Pajero Delux Bullbar for 7500AED including shipping (sea - 90 days) and fitting.

Do any of you know if ALMOST has any deal with ARB ? Any other Pajero owners wishing to change their bumper and do a group order ?

Cheers
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

tonneree;21838 wrote:Hi all,

I have just received a quote from ARB (Dubai) for a Pajero Delux Bullbar for 7500AED including shipping (sea - 90 days) and fitting.

Do any of you know if ALMOST has any deal with ARB ? Any other Pajero owners wishing to change their bumper and do a group order ?

Cheers
Buddy, stop right there and don't waste your money.. the bull bar MAY make the Pajero look nicer, but it won't make it better off-road.. and for that kind of money its a complete waste.. Please keep in mind that this is just my humble opinion, you're free to buy anything you want.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cheers
7500aed for the front bumper?

That is alot of money spent on something which you can do without. Enjoy your Pajero with the stock bumpers and cut them as per the above recommendations, if you get the front bumpers damaged, i believe the 7500aed can cover for 3 or 4 more brand new bumpers from Al Habtoor itself.

Get a decent bash plate to protect your oil cooler and random pipes hidden behind the front bumper and you can enjoy your pajero until it sez "I dont want anymore!!!!"

hope this helps
rinjose
Club Member
Club Member

Hi

Read in some other forums that the rear bumper issue can also be sorted out by fixing a rear bull bar. Also please provide the contact for a technician who does the ABS, Traction Control, ASC kill switch and any estimated cost for getting this done.

Really appreciate your help in this.

thanks
Maddie

Cheers
You serious Mate????? I can smell an ARB ripoff here....

Come up with a design for a rear skid plate lkinda thing or meet up with me and we can do it neat and clean around three hundred dirhams max

That too with steel checker plate. ...

I have understood this from Chief Marshal Capri 'build your skills first' the rig will follow suite....

Good luck bro
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

rinjose;24707 wrote:Hi

Read in some other forums that the rear bumper issue can also be sorted out by fixing a rear bull bar. Also please provide the contact for a technician who does the ABS, Traction Control, ASC kill switch and any estimated cost for getting this done.

Really appreciate your help in this.

thanks

Get in touch with Shibu from Bestline Garage