Pajero Basic Modifications (2007-2013)

FSL

Bambam;33386 wrote: My car has the highest torque at 4750 rpm up to 5500 rpm - after that I would shift to 2nd gear anyway to maintain the torque.
This is applicable if you're on-road or flat surface, not when you're climbing a dune...

All cars equipped with Overdrive will up-shift when they reach a specific RPM range and this gets very tricky when us with auto-trannies try to climb a high dune and need power and speed to do that but OD kicks in and shifts to a higher gear to reduce the RPM thus breaking the momentum.

some try to play with gas pedal to keep the rpm below the shift limit (needs some practice), newer cars with intelligent computers learn how you drive and adapt, so if you really push between every gear change the computer most of the times, it will adjust gear shifting to a slightly higher rpm.

In short every car is different and you need to try a few things to know the best possible way to get the max out of your car.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Honestly, as much as I try to convince myself that there is some hope for the Pajero, I keep hitting back on hard reality. The car isn't designed for the kind of driving we do, and you will hit the limit of its off-road capability much sooner than you think.

Mind you, the suspension system, the frame, the entire drive train and the 4w drive systems are excellent, and are robust and powerful. The 3.0L engine is underpowered, and the 3.5L is on the fence, it seems not to be able to make up its mind. If the 3.8L was available with manual transmission, it would have been up there with the best off-roaders.. but it isn't.

A SWB 3.8 would take you to intermediate, and leave you wanting. The rest forget about them. Its a city car with respectable off-road capability on SOLID ground. the Sand game is a different story altogether. Take it to the beach and have a blast, take it to Area53 and you are more than likely to leave something behind..

I own a pajero 3.8 LWB as a daily driver, took it a couple of times off-road and ahem.. my conclusion is that I want a car that does what I want, not what someone else designed it to do and my advice to the rest:
Stick to Newbie -5 trips, unless you have a 3.8 SWB, then you can go Newbie -10 and if you do all the mods, maybe intermediate if you got the skills.
larkin
Club Member
Club Member

bombays;33315 wrote:To Start with while buying a pajero we needed a family car where we could fit in 7 people. I never ever thought that i would be dedicating myself so much towards this sport. In Short as strawb said you will not enjoy in intermediate level and it does not make any sense to spend money on pajero instead you can buy a cherokee and use it as your off road ride.( i did the same ). In Dakar they do lots of mods which may cost more than the car itself.
Mr Warrier is now at the Al Garhoud branch and I did speak to him about the switch which he said would cost me around Dh700 including labour, however he said that I would still lose my warranty since it does not meet Mitsubishi specs :-(
AHMAD4X4
Club Member
Club Member

Well he used to do it for AED 350 that was in 2008 ... and still you retain the warranty. In that case you can do it at a good workshop rather than paying the hefty charge. BTW Pajero Evo used in Dakkar is a totally different kind of car sharing the Pajero name only.
larkin;33761 wrote:Mr Warrier is now at the Al Garhoud branch and I did speak to him about the switch which he said would cost me around Dh700 including labour, however he said that I would still lose my warranty since it does not meet Mitsubishi specs :-(
zarantarapore
Club Member
Club Member

Hi Strawb,

I've just got my bumpers chopped and a killswitch for the Traction, ABS and Stability installed on my 2010 3.8L LWB Pajero.
Tried using the switch for the first time yesterday but noticed that after some time, there is a deafeningly loud beep that is emitted throughout the cabin.

Was just curious if you face this issue too or are aware of what's causing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

zarantarapore;34058 wrote:Hi Strawb,

I've just got my bumpers chopped and a killswitch for the Traction, ABS and Stability installed on my 2010 3.8L LWB Pajero.
Tried using the switch for the first time yesterday but noticed that after some time, there is a deafeningly loud beep that is emitted throughout the cabin.

Was just curious if you face this issue too or are aware of what's causing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

the loud beep without any unusual warning in the dash would mean that your transfercase oil is heating up ...... this usually happens when you put excess pressure on the throttle when trying to come out of a bowl or a stuck ......

you must have been driving it in 4HL or 4LL ...... try keepin it on 4H on your next outing and use momentum to your advantage ......
zarantarapore
Club Member
Club Member

Fortunately, it doesn't look like the transfercase oil. Noticed it usually starts beeping when going downhill, assume the ABS tries to stop the car but realizes that ABS has been disabled.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

zarantarapore;34062 wrote:Fortunately, it doesn't look like the transfercase oil. Noticed it usually starts beeping when going downhill, assume the ABS tries to stop the car but realizes that ABS has been disabled.

and you are running in what? 4H? 4Hl? or 4Ll?
zarantarapore
Club Member
Club Member

strawb;34067 wrote:and you are running in what? 4H? 4Hl? or 4Ll?
Hi Strawb,

Running in 4H.

Switch was installed by Vinod at 5 Star Garage
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unfortunately i havent had the same experience as you explained

As i mentioned ... the loud beeping sound would usually come if the tranny is under pressure and your oil becomes too hot ....

Maybe you can have the garage check it again for you