Spark Plugs

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wasif Ahmed;6482 wrote:Go with the Iridium opion....far superior performance and life with hardly any pitting or corosionof the points....never need to adjust the agp once fitted.

There is also the heat range of the plug to consider.....there are "hot" plugs and then tere are "cold" plugsout there.

An iteresting thing on an FJ Cruiser is that they come with two seperate brands of spark plugs intaled one the engine from the factory...one brand on the left bank and another brand on the right bank ! This is something to do with the design of the engine and the heat range
Wasif, this is an interesting view into this subject. Are you sure, that someone did install properly what he should and not what was available in warehouse? All plugs look very similar :038:
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dear Caprihorse

Thank you for the detailed and informative followup. You are the technical oracle of this group..
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

All of the FJ's come with tw brands of plugs the ones on he rigt are usually NGK and the ones on the are usually Nippon Denso.

It is a peculiarity few are aware of until they change the original plug
FSL

caprihorse;6481 wrote:What is exact model of your car and VIN? I'll try to figure out something for you :060:
it's 93 Blazer VIN - 1GNEK18K7PJ377139...

I've checked the spark plugs, the OEM plugs are ACDelco, Copper and Platinum options are available for my model.

NGK UR5IX is the iridium spark plug for my truck so I guess I'll go with the NGK iridiums once I receive the rest of the ignition items I've ordered.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

IX Iridium (NGK) is the right spark plug, but Iridium is applied only to the centre electrode.

From Bosch you can get Bosch Platinum+4 Spark Plug HGR9BQP, which looks also very exciting.

Autolite is offering for your model XP25 [Copper Core, Double Platinum, Fine Wire Centre Electrode, Iridium Enhanced, Nickel Plated Shell, Trimmed Side Wire] (my preference).

Another option would be Champion 7018, which is double platinum, but it is not cross-referenced with Autolite for your model.

Additionally I found this:
Pulstar Pulse Plugs CB-1 are unlike any other spark plug made. They store and deliver a powerful pulse of up to 1 Million watts of peak power, whereas normal spark plugs typically deliver 50 watts of peak power. This is done by their internal pulse circuit which generates a much larger spark, at twice the speed of a traditional spark plug. This larger ignition allows for more complete burning of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder, in turn creating more torque in the crankshaft, more liveliness in the throttle and more power to the wheels. At this point you can enjoy the extra power, or ease off on the accelerator and benefit from the increasing fuel economy. Pulstar Iridium Plugs offer increased performance and horse power. Benefits include up to 12% additional horse power and torque, more precise and efficient combustion, better throttle response, and a 100,000 mile warranty.
FSL

Thanks a lot Silvester for helping me out. I just checked the prices of the models you mentioned.

NGK is $8
Autolite is $5.50
Pulstar is $12

So do you think Pulstar is worth spending the extra money???
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I never tried Pulstar, but the technical description sounds very good. The price may differ from published price in US market, for my plugs (PLFR6A-11) I paid 35 Dhs/piece, on the web the price varies between 9 -12 US$.

Try those and let us know.
FSL

caprihorse;6548 wrote:I never tried Pulstar, but the technical description sounds very good. The price may differ from published price in US market, for my plugs (PLFR6A-11) I paid 35 Dhs/piece, on the web the price varies between 9 -12 US$.

Try those and let us know.
I got the prices from Amazon as I'm not sure if I'd be able to find the specific models for my truck locally.
But let me browse around may be i get lucky.
VINU WARRIOR

caprihorse;6529 wrote:IX Iridium (NGK) is the right spark plug, but Iridium is applied only to the centre electrode.

From Bosch you can get Bosch Platinum+4 Spark Plug HGR9BQP, which looks also very exciting.

Autolite is offering for your model XP25 [Copper Core, Double Platinum, Fine Wire Centre Electrode, Iridium Enhanced, Nickel Plated Shell, Trimmed Side Wire] (my preference).

Another option would be Champion 7018, which is double platinum, but it is not cross-referenced with Autolite for your model.

Additionally I found this:
Pulstar Pulse Plugs CB-1 are unlike any other spark plug made. They store and deliver a powerful pulse of up to 1 Million watts of peak power, whereas normal spark plugs typically deliver 50 watts of peak power. This is done by their internal pulse circuit which generates a much larger spark, at twice the speed of a traditional spark plug. This larger ignition allows for more complete burning of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder, in turn creating more torque in the crankshaft, more liveliness in the throttle and more power to the wheels. At this point you can enjoy the extra power, or ease off on the accelerator and benefit from the increasing fuel economy. Pulstar Iridium Plugs offer increased performance and horse power. Benefits include up to 12% additional horse power and torque, more precise and efficient combustion, better throttle response, and a 100,000 mile warranty.

Very informative discussion and thank you all for the knowledge shared.

I just want to clear my silly doubt.

Is it required to change the cable attached to plug also to get the enhanced performance. I read in a form that unless you change the cable, you wont get the actual results from the high performance plugs. Is the cable has anything to do with the spark?
FSL

definitely... the wires play an important role.

Even right now I'm having issues with wires. Although I've got new plugs but the wires are old, hence a lot of carbon buildup around the ends.
The result is rough accelaration with hesitating engine response specially at lower speed range.