Jeep Wrangler 2007 with Supercharger

birrdog

Hi
[ATTACH=CONFIG]343[/ATTACH]
For the Jeep owners I wanted to share my experience over the past 6 months running the 3.8 V6 engine with a Supercharger

Superchargers boost the air pressure into the engine by around 8 PSI (Max for Jeep engine) and claim to add 100 WHP (wheel horse power) which with 35 inch tyres should give between 220 - 240 WHP

They run quite hot (compressed air increases the temperature) so use a 50% methanol mix injected to cool down the air temperature

This one from RIPP uses a piggy back smartbox to work with the ECU otherwise the engine goes into Safe Mode once the preset torque settings are exceeded (there are a lot of posts around the web where there have been big problems with Auto's)

Having driven the car with both Supercharger installed and without (when the drive belt broke) these are my thoughts:

1) For day to day driving there is little difference, the Supercharger only starts to add power when the revs are above 3000 RPM and when driving around Dubai I find I change up before this is reached (I have a Manual)

2) If you drive at a consistant 3000 PRM there is a boost in power followed by a pressure release (the whistle) which can get a little annoying

3) So the benefits are really for Off-road where the 3000+ RPM range is used more and here there is a noticable diffrence compaired to my old 4 Ltr Wrangler

4) Too much power can of course cause it's own problems - see my "how deep can a jeep dig itself into the sand" photo to see why but I am slowly getting to read the conditions ahead and use the power as required instead of "there's a dune in front - just floor it" approach

5) The Supercharger was fitted on the Wrangler when I got it; would I pay the AED 25K to have one installed now? I dont know

6) I have covered 12,000 Kilometers since I got the Wrangler on and off road and have only had one problem with a pulley bearing failing. This was fixed very quickly and was a result of the main drive pulley being out of line

If you want to look at the RIPP website it can be found at

http://www.rippmods.com/2007_2010_Jeep_ ... s-stg1.htm

Or if you have any questions please ask :032:
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Paul

Thanks for opening the blog but from my observation to off-road cars ... People who like to go for long drives in the desert with multi terrain prefer to stay way from Super charge or Turbo ... So please keep an eye on the car's heat while off-roading

Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Superchargers are much more expensive than the other usual stuff to give you some more HP, so to compare the prices and the output I dont think it is worthy to install it.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Well DC

The name Super Charge .... Sounds really COOL :)

It depends on how you will use the car or what is it for?

Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
popeye
Intermediate
Intermediate

The Main thing is Paul ..... Its not what is in the car ... its about what you can do with the car ... it depends on various factors such as if its ur only offroadin car or if its ur daily car etc ...... from my experience what i have learnt is ... Supercharging and all those things are good on road .. but NEVER off road buddy , its just because u may never know to what extent it may go as in you may never realise the power and before you realise it ... its gone ..... Yes i have also seen people driving with supercharged cars in the desert but in my opinion ... i will still stick to Mr. Shamsi's and my buddy DC's view ..... you could find many more things to do on an off road car other than supercharging bro ....

P.S - No offence buddy .. its just a view. Apologies if I have annoyed or offended anyone.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like your statement - "there's a dune in front - just floor it" approach

It is really important, to understand how to control all the power of the car and who is driving the car. With this statement I understand, that you are on your high skills driving curve and you can use the power really when it is needed.

Keep doing well !!
birrdog

A quick reply to the comments -

I am not saying anyone with a Wrangler should go out and fit a Supercharger in fact my original post said "The Supercharger was fitted on the Wrangler when I got it; would I pay the AED 25K to have one installed now? I dont know"

It costs a lot of money for a questionable benefit, but it was fitted to the car when I got it and I want to see how it performs and how reliable it is when off roading

I am sure that in time and a LOT more practice the additinal power it gives will be a benefit

To the best of my knowledge there are only 5 Wranglers in the UAE with this type of Supercharger which was specifically designed for the and programmed to take into account the limitations of the 3.8 engine

To answer Alshamsi's post, I agree for long drives the benefits may not be there, but I have seen no overheating problems directly caused by the Supercharger

Popeye - no offence taken, as you can see I am as much questioning the benefits as others - however I disagree when you say "never realise the power and before you realise it ... its gone" as the power is permanently there when you exceed 3000 RPM so you are in control of when the power comes in. There is no "lag" like a turbo, in fact the additional PSI is permanently fed to the engine but produces very little additional power below the above RPM

Good to see the post has generated some interest, I thought it may be a contriversal topic
Al Kurby
Advance
Advance

Thanks for sharing birrdog.:047:

My approach to modifying for offroad is lift kit, tyres and rims, cold air intake and cut back. As for the engine, I prefer to leave it stock. An overpowered engine removes the element of challenge as you will overcome almost anything in front of you.:016:

To have real fun is the feeling of satisfaction that you overcame a challenging obstacle with the limited power of your stock engine.:045:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Al Kurby, you are absolutely right, I completely agree with all your statements. :)
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Al Kurby;5326 wrote:Thanks for sharing birrdog.:047:

My approach to modifying for offroad is lift kit, tyres and rims, cold air intake and cut back. As for the engine, I prefer to leave it stock. An overpowered engine removes the element of challenge as you will overcome almost anything in front of you.:016:

To have real fun is the feeling of satisfaction that you overcame a challenging obstacle with the limited power of your stock engine.:045:
Uncle the things you do with your auto transmission Cherooke proves what you said. Your advice about the acceleration helped me alot while going up the dune, for the benefit of others ( Never ever keep holding the acceleration pedal floored, rather keep pressed it to some extent and then keep pushing and a bit releasing and you guys will feel the real HP of your cars.) I tried and took huge benefit of this technique.

When we floor the accelerator permanently it gains power and after a while there is no increase in power unless you release and keep pushing it. Try it next time and if worked say thanks to Al Kurby and me too.

PS: sorry for hijacking the thread.