Where to go? Jeep Axle Upgrades

xkennx
Club Member
Club Member

I want to upgrade my stock Dana 30/35 to something stupid. Right now with the lift kit and 33inch tires, gas pedal to the floor im getting 2k rpm and 100kmh (and its over 100AED in fuel from RAK to Dubai and back)

I was thinking of Dana 44 in the front and either a ford 9 in the rear or hearing alot of cut Dana 60's - the problem I have is I don't have time to attempt any of this work myself. I called Vlad at Icon and asked if he know a place that could do this and he just laughed and said I would have bring form the US myself or could try my luck in Shj. Being whitey and not able to speak arabic/hindi/urdu I have given up going to shj junk yards looking for parts alone.

Does anyone on here happen to know a shop that would understand the scope of this work and would be able to source the parts also?

Any help on this matter would be great.
admin

xkennx;4216 wrote:I want to upgrade my stock Dana 30/35 to something stupid. Right now with the lift kit and 33inch tires, gas pedal to the floor im getting 2k rpm and 100kmh (and its over 100AED in fuel from RAK to Dubai and back)

I was thinking of Dana 44 in the front and either a ford 9 in the rear or hearing alot of cut Dana 60's - the problem I have is I don't have time to attempt any of this work myself. I called Vlad at Icon and asked if he know a place that could do this and he just laughed and said I would have bring form the US myself or could try my luck in Shj. Being whitey and not able to speak arabic/hindi/urdu I have given up going to shj junk yards looking for parts alone.

Does anyone on here happen to know a shop that would understand the scope of this work and would be able to source the parts also?

Any help on this matter would be great.

i will try my best 2 help you but i have some Questions
1- did you change your ring pinion before ?
2- whats your ring pinion ratio now ?
3- your car model ?
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
Alosh
Advance
Advance

Dear
Be careful when u do that and ask many before u change it
Ur car speed and toarqe will depend on that
Many people feel sry after they change it
Wish u all the ebst
Buy
xkennx
Club Member
Club Member

AlKhAtIb;4226 wrote:

i will try my best 2 help you but i have some Questions
1- did you change your ring pinion before ?
2- whats your ring pinion ratio now ?
3- your car model ?
Gearing is still all original - only thing changed under the frame was the suspension and the yoke eliminator.
I'm not going to lie I'm impatient, and want to be proactive about the upgrades - I don't want to just change the gearing now and a couple months do the axle and gearing again. Hell if I could find a shop that knows what they are doing I would even have them truss it from the start (i can even cut it on my CNC laser, and might end up doing that if I get a used axle housing)

The jeep in question is a 92 YJ 4.0 - so far upgraded to MSD ignition system / 4 inch lift kit / 33 tires - still have to cut the body to install the rear fenders and cut and extend the sliders to clear the oversides fenders. Working on some under armour for the fuel tank and transfer case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]273[/ATTACH]

Want to get all the upgrades finished ASAP so I can send the jeep out for a repaint (and looking for a set of 1/2 doors)
xkennx
Club Member
Club Member

So I went ahead yeasterday and ordered 2 sets of 4.56 gears for the Dana 30/35 and warned my lasershop we going to be building a truss system for the axels. Now im trying to figure out which style of truss I'm going to go with.

Options 1 - single pc of either 10mm to 12mm rib with a 20+mm lip

Option 2 - double 4mm to 6mm with a 4mm bridge on top to join the two

Option 3 - common DIY style with a bent pipe and then a 4mm filler plate

Of course my major concern is warping the housing - as I am not a welder myself and going to have to find someone I can trust to do the welding part.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

When it come to the darling RIGs we dont trust anyone,lolz. You have to stay with the people who will do the job and monitor.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm looking very much forward to see this monster in action :)
When we can see it?
xkennx
Club Member
Club Member

So finally cut the body so that I can install the rear fenders and be sorta RTA legal......

Now I have to replace the radiator and water pump, I need to hurry up with this rebuild since it seems the YJ is falling apart faster then im fixing it.

truss has been designed - going with the single 8-10mm with the 20mm lip. Goingt o try and do that at the same time the gears are upgraded to 4.56