K & N 77 Series Air Intake for 2010 FJ - Feedback

Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Guys.

I am getting tired of waiting for TRD to release a cold air intake for the 2010 FJ and and seriously looking at the 77 Series intake from K & N for the 2010 FJ.

The price is good and they are talking of 13 BHP gians, not very sure if this will happen but even an 10 BHP gainis OK.

i want some feedback from anyone with a 2010 FJ who is using this K & N 77 series intake on their FJ.

Is there any noticeable power increase over tthe stock intake is the question ?

the link to the K & N 77 series intake is below.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... =77-9034KP
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wasif I read alot of threads on these open CAI, specially from the SHADOW WARRIOR on fj forums. Most of people there are even not recommending AFE as its having an opening in its box and they are saying due to this opening it will suck some hot air in engine chamber. so base on this argument this the open filters like K and N are totally not recommended.
The intake system on ur 2010 is amazing and already TRD, if it was not enough then sure till this time TRD or AFE would introduce something.

By the way if you are throwing your intake then give it to me, hahaha. Just install the snorkel and enjoy with the OE filter.
Snorkel is really giving you much more cold and clean air. What ever CAI you install the temperature of the air will be at least 10-15 degree more in the engine bay, unless you install snorkel and enjoy the ambient temperature in your rig.
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

There is NO cold air in the UAE at all most of the year around.

the K & N is a "ram" air intake not a cold air intake.

It is sucking in much more air, albiet at a higher temprature , than the stock intake which has a small little opening in the fender well.

All in all the K & N should give more power so I will go for it based on what others who have used it have to say. TRD is not going to come out with a CAI for the 2010 anytime soon as there is nto much they can improve on the stock box.

Open filters are not kindly treated on FJCrusierforums....they like their packages nice and sealed in a box. Their requirments and their weather dynamics are different so its not a fair comparison.

if you check almost 100 % of the Jeepers use the open K & N intake and they get loads of power from it. I have NEVER seen an enclose filter in a box on a Jeep so far....should tell us someting right ?

No can someone post some feedback on the 2010 FJ Cruiser 77 series intake from K & N
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

All the jeepers i saw are using K&N , you are right.
bojassim

HI Wasif,

I'm using the open K&N intake on my 08 FJ. it really gave me tons of power and a real nice sound. The afe and other closed filters are recommended by most off-roaders as they are protected by the box from sucking sand, that's the only advantage that afe has over K&N open intake. But, for me i think its all depend on your usage pattern, for me i just make sure that i use the cleaning kit to clear all the sands on a weekly basis.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Wasif

I checked in the FJ club about the TRD but there is no news ... The guy who used the K&N for his FJ 2010 said he is happy with it but ... he warn the people from the police because of the sound. Secondly, I spoke with one of the people who are sling fj parts and he told me that 2007-2009 are not having enough air going in ... the 2010 model has a good filter .. you just need to change the peace inside and that is all required for the 2010 also in UAE we don't have cold weather in this country more than 45 days ... so you don't have less than 20 Celsius

From my experience with K&N
1. It will give you a good performance in winter
2. it will give you a nice sound when you floor it ... but if you have hedarz or kit-back then you will be in trouble with AD police
3. Not easy to maintain & you can't find the cleaning solution
5. It will let you down in summer & performance will be effected :035:
4. Major draw back that there is a great chance that it get SAND inside your engine and damage your car

My advice ... stay away from K&N

Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Thanks Bu Salem for the great advice.

I am running the TRD hi flow filter in my stock box but there is not much performance gains ( Banana supplied it)

I am aware teh 2010 airbox is a well designed item but if you look at it it is still drawing air thru the same small opening in the left fender well so basically evn with a better design and filter it is still getting in the same amount of air as teh older cars.

The K & N with its open design will pull in more air for sure and then there is the straight pipe to teh throttle body without any sound baffles.

Why do you feel the K & N will perform poorly in summer ?
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

[CENTER]Because it was too bad in the summer ... it was like .. I was driving 2 calender car not 6 calender :014:[/CENTER]
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

The summer is here and the heat is high but the 77 Series is performing as it did in winter.....there is NO power loss that i have noticed even when the outside temp was 49 C in Sweihan last weekend.