Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014-16 (WK2) Off Road Solutions

larkin
Club Member
Club Member

Hi Capri,
he did show us the parts from it that had worn out and also some of the forums did point to that too. But was just wondering if this vehicle was suited to the desert terrain .
bimaljose

Hi Larkin,

Sorry for the delayed response. Out of all forms of off road driving, sand offers most resistance to the vehicle and in particular to the drive train. The constant stress along with age and other significant factors like the aftermarket modification to the suspension and driving style could lead to uneven wear on critical components. A roaring sound from the back when pressing the accelerator pedal can be as simple as a crack in the muffler / exhaust line. So, like Capri suggested, one needs to ensure the diagnosis is done right in the first place.
firoze1
Club Member
Club Member

Hi all, has anyone had problems with the wheel housing being damaged by tyre rubbing? I remove the lower bumper when I take the car out to the desert but the wheel housing is just getting huge holes in it from tyre rubbing.

I'm looking replacing the sump plate but it's not going to help solve this problem!

Any tips / comments appreciated!
bimaljose

Dear Firoze,

If you are using a larger tire; you definitely need a lift kit to address this issue. If you are using standard tires; the wheel-well liners crafted from a durable fiber (for acoustic benefits) may be touching the tire when maneuvering in the desert. When you remove the lower bumper (air dam), some of the mounting points of the wheel well liners are released and leaves the bottom end to hang open. That can lead to tears/ripping of the front end of the liners (I had this issue) but that alone is not enough to leave huge holes unless multiple mounting points of your wheel well liner is loose. Please have it checked at next service at the dealer.

The sump plates by Chief are proving to be a big hit here in Dubai as it is covers areas Mopar missed out saving costly repairs and replacements that are otherwise sure to break again. You can contact 4x4@redorange.com for pricing and availability if interested.

Cheers
firoze1
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response Bilal, it's much appreciated! I'll certainly check out the sump plate. I hope it protects the radiator and fluid reservoir too?!

Many thanks again.