About suspensions

makoo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm

i didn't guess, i ordered from website specifically for isuzu trooper
makoo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Yoghybear;27458 wrote:......if it's stable cannot be bouncing.....if it's bouncing cannot be stable......


well its bouncing when im not accelerating or braking or turning because the weight is divided on all 4 tires
but when i turn, accelerate or brake its not bouncing or rolling because the suspension is starting to work correctly

but when the wheelbase is short the suspension is bouncy on the highway ... like a see saww
makoo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm

caprihorse;27459 wrote:You are just guessing and praying that what you bought, it might work, did you check before buying this?
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/holden_izuzu/15.html
yeah capri i ordered from that website, it took along time to get here from Australia, i got performance nitro gas

but i have a problem now the car has 2 inch lift and the camber/caster/toe-in/out is all wrong from factory settings and i dont know how to calculate new setting for it
the only thing i can do is alinement
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 pm

makoo;27465 wrote:well its bouncing when im not accelerating or braking or turning because the weight is divided on all 4 tires
but when i turn, accelerate or brake its not bouncing or rolling because the suspension is starting to work correctly

but when the wheelbase is short the suspension is bouncy on the highway ... like a see saww
it make no sense for me what you are saying but in any way if the shocks are good enough and are working properly, the car must not be bouncing in any situation and independently of the short or long wheel base, unless something is wrong or the shocks are not the right ones for a specific car.
delta83
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:29 pm

be careful with the Australian parts, they are labelled the opposite as the driver is on the right side,
if you install suspension for 4 door on 2 door you probably end up with a higher lift kit and probably causing more damage to the transmission and differential, (you might need some transmission drop box, or change some front suspension part to match the new height)
i personally got the Kings springs for my Patrol SWB not the Iron man because there was no Iron man springs for SWB, i just got the nitro shocks from iron man
the springs for LWB on SWB will end up with around 3" to 4" lift Kit which is not that great (depending on the driver experience)

as the guys said before, it needs alot of research to find the correct setup for each 4x4 and not to damage your car
User avatar
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Sharjah
Been thanked: 1 time

CAMEL;27431 wrote:This effect is because of weak Shock Absorbers/Dampers or for sannaya Jambilat. This has noting to do with the springs, The yellow green or blue...whichever color doesn't matter, are usually after market upgraded stiffer springs which only increase the ride height of the vehicle. These actually would increase this effect if it is not assisted with stronger shock absorbers.

So, leave the springs alone and invest in good quality Shock Absorbers!!
I fully agree with Camel on that specific case in that video . On the other hand there is a very important point that I would like to highlight here ,

Travel Distance

Every Shock Absorber needs a specific vertical distance to perform . even the best shocks in the world will be useless (crippled ) when operating in the wrong distance . to determine the right shocks , you need first to know for sure what is the lift height of your vehicle . then you need to know the Min/Max travel distance of the desired shock(the length of the shock when fully compressed & when fully open ) .

As most of the offroaders here in UAE are not lifting their vehicles more than 3 Inches ( which is more than enough for dune bashing ) , I will try to keep it simple without math and psychics complications ,

- Stock shocks will operate with ( 1" to 1.5" ) lift .
- Standard performance shocks with ( 2" to 3" ) lift .

Other vehicles with more than 3" lift will require longer shocks and other suspension & power train parts to compensate the angles .

In short words , Shocks which are made for 4.5" lift will fit on a 2.5" lifted vehicle , but they will not do what they are supposed to do , and vise versal .
What goes around , comes around .
Maddie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Abu Jimmy;27473 wrote:I fully agree with Camel on that specific case in that video . On the other hand there is a very important point that I would like to highlight here ,

Travel Distance

Every Shock Absorber needs a specific vertical distance to perform . even the best shocks in the world will be useless (crippled ) when operating in the wrong distance . to determine the right shocks , you need first to know for sure what is the lift height of your vehicle . then you need to know the Min/Max travel distance of the desired shock(the length of the shock when fully compressed & when fully open ) .

As most of the offroaders here in UAE are not lifting their vehicles more than 3 Inches ( which is more than enough for dune bashing ) , I will try to keep it simple without math and psychics complications ,

- Stock shocks will operate with ( 1" to 1.5" ) lift .
- Standard performance shocks with ( 2" to 3" ) lift .

Other vehicles with more than 3" lift will require longer shocks and other suspension & power train parts to compensate the angles .

In short words , Shocks which are made for 4.5" lift will fit on a 2.5" lifted vehicle , but they will not do what they are supposed to do , and vise versal .
Thank you very much Abu Jimmy, great explanation with simple sentences. Which can be easily understood.
cyanide
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 am

caprihorse;27433 wrote:Mubz, your Pathfinder is a crossover not SUV, it can perform only on a very simple terrain... If you would be driving this car every Friday in a desert, even Newbie drives, it would completely felt apart. Nissan professional sales people are advising not to use this car in a desert (dunes), where non-professionals are saying, yes, sir, you can drive it in a desert, thinking, good for our service section, we'll see that car weekly...
Hi Capri,

What are your thoughts about stock Prado is it good enough for weekend drives in sand?
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Contact:

cyanide;27494 wrote:Hi Capri,

What are your thoughts about stock Prado is it good enough for weekend drives in sand?
Which model? What I know from earlier days, models around 2003, 2004 are excellent in the desert. But I got feedback from off-roading community, that the latest Prado models are kind of not very much suitable for off-roading, similar as latest LC. This is the sign, when the manufacturer is trying to improve very good things, e.g. Nissan Pathfinder or Jeep Cherokee, with their latest models, where they changed SUV to nice salon crossovers, suitable for drive in sand, but definitely not the dunes.
cyanide
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 am

caprihorse;27495 wrote:Which model? What I know from earlier days, models around 2003, 2004 are excellent in the desert. But I got feedback from off-roading community, that the latest Prado models are kind of not very much suitable for off-roading, similar as latest LC. This is the sign, when the manufacturer is trying to improve very good things, e.g. Nissan Pathfinder or Jeep Cherokee, with their latest models, where they changed SUV to nice salon crossovers, suitable for drive in sand, but definitely not the dunes.
2010 prado by sand i mean the usual trip for newbies on fridays
Post Reply