About suspensions

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

cyanide;27500 wrote:2010 prado by sand i mean the usual trip for newbies on fridays
That's OK, it depends only on your driving style, how many bumpers you would need per month
Bu-Shahid
Intermediate
Intermediate

caprihorse;27501 wrote:how many bumpers you would need per month
LoooooooooooL :like:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

cyanide;27500 wrote:2010 prado by sand i mean the usual trip for newbies on fridays
caprihorse;27501 wrote:That's OK, it depends only on your driving style, how many bumpers you would need per month
Bu-Shahid;27502 wrote:LoooooooooooL :like:
It sounds like I'm doing fun out of Prado or cyanide. It's not like that at all. I'm talking from my own experience. In my Newbie times, in first 6 months, I changed 3 times the front bumper :whut:
Bu-Shahid
Intermediate
Intermediate

caprihorse;27503 wrote:It sounds like I'm doing fun out of Prado or cyanide. It's not like that at all. I'm talking from my own experience. In my Newbie times, in first 6 months, I changed 3 times the front bumper :whut:
I did not mean that but as you are aware it happened to me as well and that is why I like it.
cyanide

caprihorse;27501 wrote:That's OK, it depends only on your driving style, how many bumpers you would need per month

In my mind also bumpers i like to go slow...:slow::slow:
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

Just wanted to add some information.....basically, the shocks are made to to restrict (not stop) movement of the suspension system. That is, if you hold any shock absorber and try to compress or expand it there's resistance.

An upgraded off road shock increases this resistance as compared to stock shocks making the suspension system more stiff. Ideally car manufacturers are looking to balance this resistance to on road and off road use. This is why we experience what is called 'body roll' while driving an suv, for example while driving round abouts, SUV's tend to lean more because of the center of gravity. The reason the manufacturer compromises is because of comfort.

But specifically designed off road shocks compromise on comfort to stiffness which would reduce 'body roll' but make the ride a bit uncomfortable, What this translates for us as dune surfers is that it reduces the'body roll' effect on the dunes which in turn reduces the risk of roll ovres.

This is why I said don't bother too much on the springs, spend that money on shocks. In the dunes, ground clearance is not a mojor problem.